1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In the C Club

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fudgeface, Nov 5, 2017.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Try the last day of the school year - fortunately; my exam results were excellent and I returned in September with renewed confidence!

tonymars, Moony and Alice K like this.
  2. Alice K

Alice K New commenter

If you choose to leave, don't make it easy for them. They don't deserve it. Get union help and if you leave your post, leave with your head held high.
    I have read similar posts previously on TES and they seem to have come through the situation even stronger than before.
    Our conditions in Scotland are not quite the same and I and many others are grateful for it.
    I am not sure about supply in England but here in Scotland, they would snap up teachers with lots of experience. Hope that is similar where you are from. There is a light at the end of this, just take it a step at a time and don't allow them to bully you. UNION!
    Hold your nerve if you can. Nobody deserves this treatment. Take care.

3. Alice K

Alice K New commenter

This thread is from February 2015 on Workplace Dilemmas , lots of similar situations that echo your situation.
    'Ever been bullied or made to feel so ill you ended up off with stress or resigned? '
    Might make you feel better that you are not alone.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If I'd stayed where I was the same thing would have probably happened to me - I could see the vultures starting to gather but then my parents had some health problems and I had to go anyway.

Now am in a much less academic school but feel much more appreciated

BetterNow and sabrinakat like this.
  5. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Thank you Alice, I have read it thoroughly when I was awake in the early hours of this morning xx

tonymars likes this.
  6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Just keep going, there's support here. You can survive this.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. fudgeface

In my haste I thought the meeting was this week but it is next Friday, 17th. I want it over with.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. yodaami2

yodaami2 Established commenter

I was just thinking of supply as interim before taking down your pension. The money should keep your head above water and enable you not to take your pension too early. The longer you leave it in the more it will be worth. I’ve known people get through the capability nonsense and go on to success at my school. More often people leave and some find themselves in a better situation job and health wise. It’s a real lottery. The people who do best are usually in the core subjects where they just get snapped up by other schools.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Yes, same here.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. fudgeface

Thanks for the advice yodaami2.

11. Alice K

Alice K New commenter

Everyone's situation is different but there can be other work combinations.I took my pension at 56 but only because I was going to teach abroad for 3 years. I returned at 59 and have thoroughly enjoyed supply work the last 2 years. I have had a choice of short term, long term, mat cover etc.
    You will find a way forward.

pepper5 likes this.
  12. fudgeface

Thank yo Alice.

13. fudgeface

So awake again with the jaw clenching and exhaustion. I think my meeting has been timetabled so they can put me on a 4 week plan and have me out by Christmas

14. 50sman

50sman Occasional commenter

They need more than four weeks - even a not wide awake union Rep could keep this going until Easter.

If you have been awake most of the night and it is 4:45 am when you are posting you are in no fit state to work

Get signed off and get union in

15. fudgeface

Thank you for your concern 50sman.

I am being the better person and trying to hold my head high, get on and teach my classes. I'm lucky so far that I have been left alone - I expected lots of drop ins.

I'm waiting for regional rep to write a letter suggesting an informal support plan.

Hump day tomorrow. Thank you everyone who has read this thread. I have registered with an agency, would still value some input from anyone who has stood up to bullies and stayed in post.

16. fudgeface

And it's teeth grinding time again...

pepper5 likes this.
  17. 50sman

50sman Occasional commenter

Teeth grinding says it all!
    You need to enjoy the rest of your life - ok not what you thought but I refer to John Lennon “life is what happens to you when you are busy making plans”

Being the “better person” could put you in a worse state physically and or mentally

18. fudgeface

Thanks, again, 50sman.

Still waiting for Union to get back to me. Had a good day with classes today. I might be being naive in hoping SLT will support me, but am feeling more confident that I can prove I have already started addressing their concerns before I got the letter.

pepper5 likes this.
  19. fudgeface

Ooh! Woke up a bit earlier tonight! Glad I've got a good book on the go.

Would still value hearing from others who have beaten the process, rather than leave the school.

Thank you everyone

pepper5 likes this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sorry to say I bailed... I don't know of anyone who beat the process.

Mostly because the process is purposefully designed to get rid of you.

pepper5 and CheeseMongler like this.