1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In the C Club

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fudgeface, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Occasional commenter

I'll echo what;s been said here by others - regional level union involvement to make sure the process is monitored / fair.

Or, get the heck out of Dodge...especially if others at UPS have had similar situations.

It's sometimes about £££ and not performance. The C Club can be a way to get shot of expensive staff.

2. daisydayz13

daisydayz13 New commenter

So sorry to hear of your situation. one thing I'd add, based on suggestions from others on my recent dilemma is DO NOT RESIGN

3. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Thank you all. Am seeing rep tomorrow. I think I'm going to see the outcome of the formal meeting first. Mind is just racing. I've been at this place ages and am well liked by the kids.

I am seriously thinking about taking my pension if I can (probably not quite old enough) but now is probably not the time to be making rash decisions

4. fudgeface

And I'm going to go to the GP and get my antidepressants upped

5. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

I can't really add to the other advice but wanted to say something.
    You need to look after yourself first. Seeing your GP is good. I had beta blockers to stop the tremors.
    Please don't go to any meeting without a union rep - preferably regional.
    Let your union rep do all the talking if you can.
    Ask for a copy of the minutes before you leave the building - even if it's just the notes photocopied.
    Don't resign - you need to think carefully about the future.
    As others have said - it is possible to find work in a different place and be happy - I did.
    If you are nearly at pension age then you are almost certainly the age to be targeted ( cost ? too much knowledge and experience? )
    If your GP advises time off - you may want to take it.
    Try to get some rest.

thekillers likes this.
  6. fudgeface

Am early 50s with about 28 years service. Thank you Rooney for your support. I will definitely not go to the meeting without Union

thekillers likes this.
  7. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

GP first thing tomorrow. This will give you time to contact your union who will read through the papers with or for you.
    Do not go in on your own under any circumstances.

All the best. You will get through this.

thekillers likes this.
  8. Alwaysworried

Alwaysworried New commenter

Look after yourself. My previous head (who had done this type of thing to several people before me) decided I would be in the hit list about this time last year. Started with unrealistic expectations, moving goal posts, undermining me with colleagues, chipping away at my self esteem. Then threats of capability. I became a shell of my former self, it effected my home and school life. I now work in a lovely school where I am slowly rebuilding myself but I think trying to tough it out has left long term scars. If I was advising myself back then, knowing what I know now it would be seek professional help - union and medical, be kind to yourself and plan exit as quickly as possible. Take care

9. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

Thinking of you Fudgeface. Nothing more to add to the excellent advice already given. Just take care of yourself and use the support here when you need it.

tonymars likes this.
  10. fudgeface

Awake, exhausted, teeth grinding

11. secretteacher2357

secretteacher2357 Occasional commenter

This is normal. You may feel like this for a while until your stress levels drop. It DOES get better.

Call in sick, see your GP. In the meantime, read a book, have a bath, catch up on some tv, watch a movie...distract yourself with pleasant activities.

Be kind to yourself x

tonymars likes this.
  12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You can retire on a reduced pension from the TPS at 55.

13. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Occasional commenter

One way or another, you’re going to get a long term positive outcome for you! Just wanted to send my support and best wishes.

14. fudgeface

Thank you everyone. I went in today and held my head high and taught (in my opinion) good lessons.

Tomorrow is another day. Waiting on union advice from regional level, but my school rep thinks although in some areas I do have a case to answer, SLT have not really given any support and there is a lack of hard evidence with some inaccuracies. I should be on an informal support plan.

My rep thinks that if SLT go in hard, they are bullies.

Hope I can hang on until I'm 55, Frank!

15. fudgeface

Thank you so much, Tinycat.

16. Alice K

Alice K New commenter

Hi, I echo all the sentiments expressed by other TESSERS.
    When anything major like this happens, it is natural to feel as if your life is going into a spin and stress levels will inevitably rise. What you are experiencing is normal although it probably feels anything like 'normal' at the moment.

FWIW, I have taught for many years and witnessed many situations within schools that were so unfair to many colleagues. Be assured ,you are not alone. If you feel that your anxiety is unmanageable,take some time off. There is absolutely no shame in it. It will give you a breathing space and gradually you will get it into perspective. You have given many years of service to education, don't let anyone take that away from you. Be kind to yourself, seek out trusted friends that will support you and follow all the advice about union support.
    Thinking about you and willing you on.

17. fudgeface

Thank you so much, Alice. Has anyone here actually come out the other side of this process?

18. yodaami2

yodaami2 Established commenter

Don’t let the bar stewards grind you down.Try to hang in there. It’s not as if you’re no good at teaching, what it is, is that they are trying to make you feel that way!!! And unfortunately they are succeeding.
    You can retire early at 55 but you will lose 5% per year of your benefits for every year beneath your NPA (60). That’s a lot. If I were you I’d not take it early, I’d look for another school or supply and keep going for as long as you feel well. Best wishes.

19. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I can beat Friday afternoon, try the day before the last day of half term! (as in before the holiday.) Thanks for ruining my half term! Jerks!

tonymars and ilovesooty like this.
  20. fudgeface

Thank you Yodami. Do you earn enough in supply to make pension contributions? I looked on the supply forums last night and people seemed to think work opportunities were down.

Key factor for me is that there aren't many jobs going in my subject area.

Scienceteachasghost - are you going through this process at the moment?