1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In the C Club

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fudgeface, Nov 5, 2017.

1. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

So im lying here in bed feeling sick and shaking at the thought of school tomorrow. Had the dreaded letter delivered on Friday. Need to attend a formal meeting next Friday after school. Can't take it in really. Has anyone had any positive outcomes from this process?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

fudgeface, so sorry this is happening to you. I have no personal experience of this situation so can't offer any constructive advice ... there will be lots of others who can. I just want to send a hug and good wishes x

sabrinakat and pepper5 like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

C as in Capability ?

4. fudgeface

Many thanks, sushine

pepper5 likes this.
  5. fudgeface

Yep. Have already been in the cancer club

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If I were you I would start looking for another position immediately. The outlook for anyone going into capability these days is generally not rosy.

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

You have involved your union at regional level, haven't you?

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As post #7 says - get Union involved (& not just the school rep). Make sure Union (or trusted colleague - not a line manager) attends meeting with you to take notes/confirm your memory of points made etc.

galerider123 likes this.
  9. secretteacher2357

secretteacher2357 Occasional commenter

The minute I heard from my line manager that capability was happening - even before the letter was sent - I went. In my case it was a pattern that had developed in the school to get rid of UPS teachers and those with TLR.
    I fell apart, got signed off for WRS and left several months later with a settlement agreement.
    I got a new job and It's amazing. But most importantly, I don't have the stain of capability on my reference.
    My advice? Union involvement at regional level immediately. Do not have any meetings with SLT without Union being there. Start looking for another job now. It may seem like the end of the world but It's not - It's just the end of the nightmare. If you are struggling to cope emotionally, see your GP as a matter of urgency.
    Good luck x

10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi fudgeface

Just wanted to say sorry about your dilemma. Easier said than done I know, but try not to worry and ensure you have taken all the steps you need to like contacting your union and ensure someone goes to the meeting with you.

Do you have any other adults in the house to talk to?

Keep posting on here and also don't forget there is the Education Support Partnership which is available 24/7 contactable by email or phone.

Surround yourself with every avenue of help.

Just think of one day at a time and one step at a time.

Will be thinking of you.

XX

P.S. Excellent advice from post 9

11. menhir

menhir New commenter

So sorry this is happening to you it's such a shock I know I have been there too. I am now in a happy place working in a great school with lovely colleagues. This happened to me 2 years ago, 50 +, UPS , requires improvement school so many of the same scenarios repeated on this site over the last 5 years. Good advice here Union, look for new posts and if you feel overwhelmed by it all see your GP. I in fact was signed off for a few weeks and it was what I needed at the time to feel calm and confident again. My union were really supportive and spoke to my HT and made sure I could leave and take up my new position without any capability stain on my record.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yes, but I had to leave that horrific place to find them.
    Like @menhir I am now in a lovely school, with almost all my confidence back (just a few wobbles now and then).
    Your union, ring the helpline on your card, will support you today as you worry and panic. Not just in being at the meeting, but also in ensuring the process is done correctly and with negotiating all that needs to be sorted out.

Take a deep breath (or 500 of them!), accept that you are going to be leaving that school by Christmas, but can definitely stay in teaching and go on to be successful should you wish.

It's a horrid road for a time, but you can reach the end and be happy again.
    I promise.

13. fudgeface

Thank you everyone. I'm still feeling sick and can't stop shaking. I was going to take school rep who is a trusted friend too, but will seek advice from regional. I can't bring myself to look at the paper work, but some of it appears to be inaccurate so I'm hoping they have jumped the gun

grumpydogwoman and FrankWolley like this.
  14. fudgeface

My other half has been supportive and did hastily say to leave and do something else but think is regretting that now!

grumpydogwoman and pepper5 like this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Don't look at it. That's why you need more than a trusted friend to work with you this. They read the paperwork. They highlight all the rubbish. They challenge the headteacher. You sit and watch and agree to whatever your union advise, ignoring the idiocies of the headteacher.

If you are sick and shaking, then get to a doctor tomorrow. Decide seriously if you are well enough to teach a class and if not then take whatever advice the doctor gives you.

(No I was not 'the sort of person' who is 40ish, signed off work with stress, takes antidepressants and sleeping pills and sits on a sofa all day crying and eating junk food either. Completely not at all. But you know, what? Actually I was for quite a few months. Sod it all, there is no shame in it. What I learnt is that there is no 'sort of person' this happens to. It is just luck or bad luck in life.
    If someone physically knocked you down, you would take time out to recover. Being mentally and emotionally knocked down also means you need treatment and recovery time. Take whatever you need to recover from this.)

16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry to read this.
    Many of us have been there. You need to find a way forward and out.
    You also need allies to keep your spirits up until you go.
    I owe my sanity to the colleagues with whom I supped tea at the end of the day and had constructive conversations.
    I agree with all the advice regarding your union.
    Good luck.
    Life will rebuild.

tonymars, grumpydogwoman and pepper5 like this.
  17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Remember, this state of anxiety is the choice of your management, not you. Feel no guilt or shame at needing to manage yourself. Their strategy is to wallop your self-esteem so hard you have no will to resit.

18. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

If the school starts on the C, it is basically a neon sign saying 'Get out ASAP for your own sake.' Anybody who chooses to stay in the school if they get through it must be insane, my trust in the school would be stuck at zero thereafter and it really is busted flush time! Follow the advice of other posters above.

19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

And through all of this, remember that IT IS NOT YOU WHO IS FOUND WANTING.
    Unless you have been found incompetent in every school you have ever worked in, YOU HAVE BEEN A PERFECTLY GOOD TEACHER up to now.
    Continue to have faith in yourself, do what you need to do to keep yourself safe and take the advice from those who know.
    This is not the only school, and you deserve better.

20. ronnieg

ronnieg New commenter

Must be a module in head's training - give them bad news on a Friday afternoon.
    Lots of us have been there and come through it. It does seem hard and it is - this is being used too often in schools now and it needs addressing by the union. Too many teachers are being driven away. Make sure you have the union involved!