1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In shock at head's response to me being ill

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Lilmonkey1982, Dec 13, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Absolute poppycock!

(In my opinion, that is.)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I don't get these responses, why people are homing in on the right or wrong of being asked to report absence in person, when surely a far bigger wrong is the fact of a HT phoning a member of staff in just these circumstances about anything?
    What sort of HT actually does that?

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

There are certain circumstances.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/sicknessabsence/step2.htm

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yes I know, but not OP s circumstances. They were "likely to return from minor illness within 7 days". According to the link you posted, it is not deemed advisable or necessary to contact earlier than this.

agathamorse and nomad like this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Try commenting on my opinion and leave the ad hominem stuff out of it, eh? ;)

Against the T&Cs and all that.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I agree, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion on having someone else call in sick on another's behalf.

It remains my view that, unless incapacitated, someone who is supposedly an adult and a professional should do it themself.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  7. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

Gosh! I’ve never thought I was unprofessional after asking my husband to call in when I was constantly vomiting with a dreadful migraine - this was before we had an answerphone system and had to ring on the dot of 8am - I’d managed to send cover in a more lucid moment in the wee hours that day though. Not sure the cover manager would have appreciated the retching...

What I find do find really unprofessional is the cra** cover left by some teachers for planned absence.

OP - don’t fret and have a chat with your Head if it really bugs you. Perhaps I’m lucky - my school is led by a decent one who still values their staff.

8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

And why do NQTs often leave after five minutes these days?

BelleDuJour and FrankWolley like this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You gave an opinion against mine based on your personal experience (one instance, it seems), I suggested that your own post effectively showed poor decision making. If it is against T &Cs to say that, it must also be against T & Cs to use personal examples in the first place...otherwise we can all say 'This is my personal experience, you're wrong, you can't comment on it, see T & Cs'...

FWIW I think your story shows poor leadership. I've read enough of your posts to know that you are an experienced school leader, but that doesn't mean that you (or anyone else) is infallible. IMHO your advice on this thread is faulty, and it's my duty to say so.

I have to say threatening me by implication with mention of the T & Cs reflects very poorly on you.

creaganturic, ATfan and IanG like this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

And I disagree, based on nearly a decade of working in school leadership.

BelleDuJour, ATfan and IanG like this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

This.Teachers need to stand up to thicko psycho mangers who like to stamp on a 'colleague' when they're down. They are not proper managers, as they demotivate rather than support. And...had the OP gone in whilst vomiting, the virus would have spread all through school; a fact the manager is either too thick or ignorant to comprehend. Anything for a good backstabbing before the break, it seems.

ATfan likes this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Doctors all over your postcode will be miffed that you did!;)

ATfan likes this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Agreed. It's all managerial b.s and powerplay, this. Teachers must be more aware of it going on. Of course the manager may be innocent, and may, unicorn-like, be a sparkly cloud of goodwill and support, but I doubt it. The ideal is, of course, to call in oneself. Let me assure you, though, that frequent vomiting, full-on norovirus, rapid heartbeat, concussion...well it's not so easy to 'phone in then. Yet it's still expected. Because nobody in the slt tier seems to care about their staff anymore. I realised this when I called in sick in advance from a hospital bed. I was scheduled for surgery the next morning. Early. "Can't you 'phone in tomorrow?" they moaned. Can't they just....., I thought! You cannot win with this new system of hyper-vigilance, staff/student attendance monitoring and implicit/not-so-subtle bullying. But the (Tory-owned?) supply agencies are doing well, so that's ok,

ATfan and FrankWolley like this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

And I disagree, based on trying to do it whilst unconscious. Trust me, it can be tricky sometimes.

PGCE_tutor, ATfan and FrankWolley like this.
  15. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

And no doubt, the teacher would have been hauled into a disciplinary meeting by the aforementioned leader once the virus has gone for spreading the virus around the college/school thereby breaching H&S rules and failing to follow the college's/school's sickness policy of doing everything to get better whilst off sick by returning to school/college before fully recovering from it.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  16. Mrsmumbles

Exactly. Another reason why so many teachers are leaving. I wouldn’t even call it quitting, more ‘wisely redirecting considerable skills to more fulfilling related fields’...the job has been made impossible. Even worse, it was madness I possible by fools like this SLT who I bet don’t teach! You really. Annkt win. That’s why we need our unions.At least we can negotiate time off and SAS with them. Managers do not own us; they need us and their own careers pivot around ours. If they ain’t getting that, the op should feel reassured that there are many related careers out there, here and abroad, that do not bully, belittle and use Doublethink all day.

Dyathinkhesaurus and ATfan like this.
  17. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

My partner once got chastised on the phone by a head teacher for phoning in sick on my behalf..... She even launched into barking about cover.
    He informed her that when I came around for sedation in ICU he'd let me know.
    She sent me to OH after my 12 week certified absence; They inspected the scar and confirmed I had had surgery/

Some people are self obsessed with their own importance. Some insensitive. Some just plain stupid.

18. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Exactly. Some OH 'professionals' are stupid as well as I've recently found out. I do hope that your OH doc didn't disagree with what the surgical procedure was and why it was given to you as my OH doc did in relation to my chronic condition. I sometimes wonder whether the joke motto a former colleague and I thought of a few years ago is actually true: Those who can, teach. Those who can't, (mis)manage.

19. Mrsmumbles

Quite. And teachers (well, the teachers still working within actual schools, anyway) must remember that most school managers lie at the very bottom of the competency barrel themselves; inexperienced or prematurely fasttracked ‘teachers’, limited life experiences and naturally lacking in basic humanity, empathy or pragmatism. In other words, bells. I have experienced far too much of this unpleasantness about cover and genuine absence. Much of the time, they are the fools who perpetuate the staffing cycle of extreme stress, overwork, illness, absences, the need for cover and staff absences/ leaving. Then they cut up nasty and moan utterly inappropriately when they get the inevitable phone calls from hospitals, often called by relatives or partners because the employee is too sick to talk. I know that this is one thing which really files many union reps,and suspect the problem is fairly widespread. Didn’t they manage us well?! Give that psycho a CEO promotion and a fourth school to ‘manage.’

ATfan likes this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Trust me, it’s true! For many schools, at least. Many of my last lot could not spell, communicate clearly, follow their own procedure, deal fairly with the union rep...they even fired their first HR team. Disgraceful yet familiar!

ATfan likes this.