1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In school over summer

Discussion in 'Independent' started by kathryn87, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Hello,

What is usually expected of staff over holidays regarding time spent in school?

Regards

2. Hello,

What is usually expected of staff over holidays regarding time spent in school?

Regards

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

In our school nothing is expected, we always have 3 'INSET' days before the children return each term, so we usually start on the Monday and the children return on the Thursday.

4. Nothing at all expected, but lots of us are popping in and out all summer - quite a few of the non-teaching (admin, finance and IT) staff are contracted to be there anyway, and it's the best time to get things done!

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

HODs are expected to be there on A-level and GCSE results day, or to nominate someone from the department on their behalf. Some trips take place in the holidays but they are normally mentioned in your contract. Other than that, as much or as little as you want to. We once had a departmental trainin session the day before the INSET day, but that was exceptional (and we're quite a willing bunch anyway, it was practical training to do with our computer system so we organised it ourselves - not the same as an INSET on health and safety, for instance!)

6. geoff1954

geoff1954 New commenter

Do you mean time spent in school, or time spent working? Most teachers do plenty of work at home during school holidays. Personally I did not step into the school buildings except in term time.

7. It's not expected, but I'm in during the hols. It depends on how much work you've got to do.

8. At our school nothing is required of us in the hols, though a few of us came in for A-Level and GCSE results days. It was my first year in an independent and I was pretty shocked to see how few made the effort - particularly for the lower 6th and GCSE students, who needed to make decisions based on their results, ideally helped and advised by their teachers. I came away thinking the low staff turnout was a very rum do indeed and that if I were the Head I would make it mandatory for HODs to attend or arrange a department representative at both results days. These parents are paying over the odds for a service....