1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In school for 0.8, teaching 0.72?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by turkith, Jul 25, 2018.

1. turkith

turkith New commenter

Hi all,
    I am new to part time working so apologies if this is a stupid query:

I start at a new school in September. When I applied, I asked for a 0.8 timetable and was granted it—my offer letter, my acceptance letter and my contract all clearly state 0.8 on them and my proposed salary was calculated on this basis (also clearly stated in each of the above). I got a letter from them today stating that my teaching timetable amounts to 0.72 of a full timetable and that my pay has been adjusted accordingly (a significant deduction). However, I am still in for four full workings days, with lessons at the beginning and end of each day. Is this normal/allowed? It feels like I’m being expected to wait around in school to teach my next lesson but not being paid for that time? Surely, it was their responsibility to ensure that they could give me enough classes to get me up to a full 0.8 timetable?
    Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

2. turkith

turkith New commenter

Ok, on rechecking my offer letter and contract, it actually states that I will be employed for four full days and paid 80% of the FTE. It never occurred to me that four full days could be anything other than a 0.8 timetable (after all, on a full time contract it doesn’t specify you’ll be working 100% of the timetable...that’s the reasonable assumption) but hindsight is 20/20. Could I argue that they’re in breach of contract because they said I would be paid 80% and now they’re not? I am happy to offer to do some cover/general office work etc for the necessary number of periods in order to make it up to 0.8 but I am worried that this will set a precedent—what’s to stop them from saying next year that I have to be in for four full days but they’ll only give me half of a timetable and pay me accordingly?!

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom! I have been up most of the night fretting about this D:

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Assuming there is no clause in the contract about varying the percentage, I think you are entirely justified in replying to them that the contract offered was 4 days and 80% pay, and that this is what you accepted. You are not willing to work 4 days for 72% pay. You can see that there are fewer lessons on the timetable than would be the norm for 4 days, and you are happy to discuss what else you could teach or assist with; as you say, you could agree to do cover, or perhaps they could give you some intervention groups. If you are happy to teach another subject, you could mention that.

JohnJCazorla and strawbs like this.
  4. turkith

turkith New commenter

Thank you, frustum. I contacted HR today; will keep my fingers crossed!

5. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

That is strange and you are right to query it.
    I worked 80% in one school and was in every day because I was on the duty rota for break and lunch and had meetings to attend. I didn’t mind as the extra time was spent on planning etc.

6. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

If you work 0.8 then you will be teaching for 0.72 as you are entitled to 10% ppa...or have I missed the point?

annascience2012 likes this.