1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

in praise of Chillington hoe

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Apr 23, 2011.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Oh er Mrs
    I have just dug out 6' by 10' of wilderness allotment using my new Chillington trenching hoe.. amazingly I can still walk upright, which I for sure would not be doing if I had used my garden fork.
    Amazing. My daughter reckons our garden tools are a bygone of the mining days - we are the only nation that tills the soil with short handled tools.
    Amazing tool.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

It is a trenching hoe. I think there are other tools out there which are similar, in america it might be called a grub hoe and an Azada is another kind of the thing. You kinda pick axe into a piece of ground then roll it towards you pulling it rather than pushing away from you as you do with a spade. I believe there are pictures of Egyptians using them. Dig like an Egyptian.....
    It cleared the ground really quickly.
    Just need to card board it up, bit of compost or mulch, could get some courgette plants in that there bed I reckon.
    I would have liked a little longer on the handle though and I am not really that tall.

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Drat I clicked the link, now I need lots more hoes.

4. And verily He did say from on high, " Thou shalt not covet the Howard 350 rotavator."

[​IMG]

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I don't remember using a rotavator but that is the spit of me for sure.

not

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I thought this was going to be some nice seaside place along the lines of Plymouth Hoe.

7. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Ah sorry
    Chillington Hoe is part of Bradford. A sunny rural idyll of Bradford. I forgot to mention that.