1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In need of your advice please!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Arlia89, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Arlia89

Arlia89 New commenter

Hey everyone,

I am currently off work with stress and depression. I’ve been on antidepressants for 3 years and I go to counselling. I’m a secondary school teacher.

Last Monday I had a complete melt down at work and had to leave for the day. I went to my GP the following day and he signed me off for 2 weeks with stress and depression.

I am still not feeling great about my situation and I feel completely lost. Unfortunately, I have a perfectionist streak which means my work life balance is non existent. I am really worried about my mental health and I don’t know what to do. I am considering leaving the profession altogether, but this prospect really scares me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. EnglishFairy

EnglishFairy New commenter

I didn't want to read and run.

You've done the right thing by seeing your GP. You must look after YOU.

Don't feel like you have to return to work after two weeks either, keep your GP updated and take more time if you need to. School will manage. Your mental health is so much more important than a job.

Take some time to weigh up all the options about leaving teaching. If you do decide to leave and regret it, you can always return to teaching!

Be kind to yourself.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Don't rush into any decisions - you are ill and not in the right place at the moment. Focus on getting well. Be honest with your GP and counsellor; tell them exactly how you feel and follow their advice. Try to spend time with friends and family who make you feel good; make time every day to do something you enjoy, be it walking, swimming, reading or watching an old film. Take of yourself and don't think about school or returning before you are better. School will cope - that's what they have long-term sickness insurance for. Don't feel guilty, your health and well-being come first. Best wishes.

MsBehaving, Arlia89 and emerald52 like this.
  4. Arlia89

Arlia89 New commenter

Thank you both for your advice