1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In need of some imaginative ideas please...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emserata, Feb 3, 2011.

1. I have been asked to organise a spelling quiz for next week as part of a basic skills week. I need some ideas to make it really fun and interesting with as much of the school participating as possible. We have 200 children in the school. I thought I could do it in houses or year groups. We have a IWB and internet in the hall so that could be used.
    Basically I just do not want it to be boring! Thought about getting children to learn a list of words beforehand and then work in teams or other children bouncing balls whilst spelling etc.
    I would be really grateful if anyone can think of some fun ideas, thanks in advance!

2. GARDEN24

GARDEN24 New commenter

I am sure there is a Who wants to be a millionaire PPT somewhere in resources - might be fun!!

3. In a school that has an average ability range, spelling is only ever fun for about 1 in 5 pupils. Spelling quizes give good spelllers a chance to shine. Others just get more depressed about their inability to spell.
    I would go for a competition to come up with the most words with silly spellings (touch, cough, through, friend, build). I've listed them all http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com
    It would help poor spellers feel less bad about their inability to spell and help them learn a bit too. The winners will still be the best spellers.