1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In need of info on Hong Kong NET Scheme

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Dramakween, Feb 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dramakween

Dramakween New commenter

Hi

I hope someone can help. I have some questions on the above scheme. I've done a search on here and have read all the general stuff, but now I have some specific questions. If there is anyone out there that might be able to help, or can point me in the right direction, I'd be really grateful if you could send me a 'conversation'.

Thank you!

2. kpjf

kpjf New commenter

Why don't you just ask the questions here and people will reply if they know the answers :)

3. Dramakween

Dramakween New commenter

Okay, couple of general questions. I'm expecting that most people on here with knowledge of Hong Kong will have experience of international schools. However, can anyone advise, are government-run schools in HK likely to be as hideous as some UK state schools? I know class sizes are large, but what about discipline? I don't want to go out of the frying pan ... also, which districts are preferable and which to be avoided? I'm hoping someone could at least be able to help with the latter question. Info will be gratefully received

4. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

Hong Kong schools are quite different to the UK. I would not say there are no behaviour issues but I think you would be very unlucky to have a bad experience in behaviour terms. Students overall are very switched on and eager to learn. Your only issue may be the learning culture and the rote learning mentality. I don't know which districts are preferable; schools here are banded by academics. From my knowledge of the system (speaking to NETs) job satisfaction comes down to the school's management more than anything.

Dramakween likes this.
  5. Dramakween

Dramakween New commenter

Thank you very much, Clovispoint.

6. Zenfone3

Zenfone3 New commenter

I faxed my NET application a month ago and they just emailed last week to say send it again as their fax was busy or something or they had problems with it (funny as the place I faxed it from said it had gone through and a fax machine tells you if the fax has been sent successfully or not.) Anyway that aside, I think they prefer graduates of English (for some reason) as there is a list of acceptable qualifications for the NET scheme starting with the most preferred down to the least. I wish you luck getting an interview but there will be loads and loads of ESL teachers after this lucrative post. I think you can make up to around 40,000 pounds a year as a NET. As for schools, the school I am at is ok. The students are well-behaved but I am not in HK, in Asia though. They must still be interviewing for the next season then if they emailed me only a week ago I presume.

7. Dramakween

Dramakween New commenter

Hi Zenfone3

I am about to send you a 'conversation'.