1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In need of ideas for a topic starter!

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by peppermint25, Dec 19, 2011.

1. peppermint25

peppermint25 New commenter

Hello,

Does anyone have any outstanding opener or hook to start our topic on Rainforests? I want something that will really grasp their attention and get them engaged right from the minute they enter my classroom.

I have been trying to devise a storyline for the topic but am not getting too far! Any ideas would be most welcome!

:)

2. peppermint25

peppermint25 New commenter

Hello,

Does anyone have any outstanding opener or hook to start our topic on Rainforests? I want something that will really grasp their attention and get them engaged right from the minute they enter my classroom.

I have been trying to devise a storyline for the topic but am not getting too far! Any ideas would be most welcome!

:)

3. If you have a sound machine, used for relaxing and falling asleep, have it set on the "rain" or "rainforest" setting when the students enter the class, and have it run all through each school day, to give the feel of constant rain. I would also add LOTS of large plants for effect. If you have a few forest stuffed animals which could be situated high above the students, that would be a great effect as well. Best of luck.

Happy Christmas!

4. Start with a dramatic WHAT IF question. What if you lived in the rainforest and nobody knew that anyone even lived there? It had never been visited by anyone, or talked about. Nobody knew about your tiny village.

Then show them this video: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lWVVFHzuLE

5. I did this topic with my P3/4/5 class last year. The project was 'launched' by a puppet parrot (Kiki) appearing in the classroom with a 'Rainforest Challenge' in her beak. Over the weeks she brought several challenge.s Even the P5s (all boys) entered into the spirit of it.
    The first challenge was to research Kiki's habitat and use the information we found (from books/internet/video clips) to transform our classroom into a rainforest - great fun! This introduced the different layers/plants of the rainforest.
    The second challenge was to find out about the animals that would live in the different layers. Pupils drew pictures and placed them in the correct layers in the classroom.
    The third challenge focused on the dangers facing Kiki and the other animals/people in the rainforest.
    We invited Zoolab to run a rainforest workshop (as part of a school open day).
    Pupils used what they had learned so far to write rainforest information leaflets and audio books.
    We organised workshops to find out about rainforest foods with blind tasting/blind smelling/identifying close up pictures/feely bag of rainforest foods.
    We finished the project with a Rainforest Food party. The pupils had to research the foods we get from the rainforest and we organised a party for the the infant class - including a chocolate fountain and rainforest smoothies.
    This was a great topic to fully involve the pupils in the planning and delivery.