1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In need of ideas for a topic starter!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by peppermint25, Dec 19, 2011.

1. peppermint25

peppermint25 New commenter

Hello,

Does anyone have any outstanding opener or hook to start our topic on Rainforests? I want something that will really grasp their attention and get them engaged right from the minute they walk into my classroom.

I have been trying to devise a storyline for the topic but am not getting too far! Any ideas would be most welcome!

:)

2. peppermint25

peppermint25 New commenter

Hello,

Does anyone have any outstanding opener or hook to start our topic on Rainforests? I want something that will really grasp their attention and get them engaged right from the minute they walk into my classroom.

I have been trying to devise a storyline for the topic but am not getting too far! Any ideas would be most welcome!

:)

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

4. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Hi
    I too am doing this topic and was also looking for something similar! I searched on here and someone had suggested adopting an animal for the class. I've now adopted an orangutan with the WWF (in my name so it can go with me if I ever move schools!) and I should receive a pack with pictures and info and a soft toy. You can do it for £3 a month.
    I just now need to think of how to present it to the class. Was thinking about putting the soft toy somewhere in the classroom (e.g. on top of IWB projector) for when they come back after xmas, and maybe writing a letter to the class asking for their help?? That's as far as I've got with my tired out end-of-term brain, but am hoping to do something with it as the hook. I might do a competition to name it. Might also hang loads of green & brown crepe paper strips from washing lines in classroom to make it look 'rainforesty' for the first day back.
    I've got the Great Kapok Tree book and 2 others to use for literacy. Going to do our science on plants via this topic too. My class are Y3/4 by the way. Hope that helps??
    [​IMG]