1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In need of advice please

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by NellyFUF, Mar 10, 2011.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

Some children need more help than others. So what?
    This is Day Care - complain to the manager.
    Your son is who he is and how he is and if he does not want to glue then he should not be gluing.
    I will read this post again after work. Don't you worry.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Did the woman spend all morning trying to make him pick up a glue stick?
    Is he happy at the nursery?

3. There always has to be an argument between posters on here doesn't there?!

I would definitely question why your child was being made to hold a glue stick. Maybe it's the way the nursery operates that all children HAVE TO make the same picture, with the same equipment, staying at the table until the adult thinks they've finished, but this will cause problems when the children move to school if there's a freeflow environment. The children in my class who have had this structured start still struggle to make their own play choices and do things without an adult to stop them snatching, wanting other toys, falling out etc.

Talk to the nursery and see how they do things.

As for the statement about recognising numbers to 5 - the nursery staff may have only had little training on using the EYFS development matters for assessment. Unfortunately, I have heard practitioners in the past say that the EYFS only refers to numbers to10 so they don't do any more! As suggested before, if you note down things for your son's learning journey, you can add what you know your child can do, and then it reflects the whole picture.

Good luck