1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In need of a flash of brilliance for a Numeracy obs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cally1980, Apr 5, 2011.

1. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

If you want to do a codebreaker challenge I used kaprekar's constant with a Yr 6 class once, they loved it. Mine was a short lesson though, not sure it could be extended to last for an hr.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Go to primary resources (maths problem soving I think) Theres a very good murder mystery activity which my level 5b/c children loved. I took them over an hour to crack the four codes involved which eliminate suspects off a list. They needed litte support off me although your 4b ones might. Good luck

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

nrich maths website has some good ideas - use the search box to find stuff on codes or ratio.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I did a fairground carousel activity once that had lots of problem solving challenges. Each one gave a clue to an overall code and the children went around in groups of 3 solving each. You could have a prize for the first team to crack the code. I dont have the resources but I expect there is lots similar around...