1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In need of a decent unbreakable CD player for less than 300 quid.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by technikly, Nov 8, 2017.

1. technikly

technikly New commenter

Hi. I've just been made Computing coordinator this year and someone requested this cd player.

http://www.coomberaudio.com/equipme...9Sg16v9t613qeS0v7jK8x0ueXf74-n2UaAlwWEALw_wcB

It's extraordinarily expensive and I don't fancy making such a purchase so quickly.

They need a cd player which won't break when the kids use it (EYFS) and has multiple inputs.

I suggested a cheaper and they said that they've broken many times and the multi input was an issue.

I think I can get around the multiple input issue by using splitters, but a cheap base might break.

Main question: can anyone recommend a solid brand or specific player which is sturdy?

Alternatively, I could digitise their CDs, but then I still have the problem of an interface which the children can understand and has splitters.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

Hi, not sure if you feel this would be applicable as an alternative, but have you thought about using a laptop rather than a CD player:

https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/p...Hz-12-1-Touch-Screen-4GB-250GB-Windows-7-Pro/

These things are pretty indestructible by all accounts. Not sure what you mean by multiple inputs? Having checked the item description on the link you gave, it appears to have up to 8 audio output connections, but the only inputs I could see mentioned were "line in for amplification of tablets and smartphones"? The laptop does have USB and takes SD cards, but you'd need a cheap CD drive attached to it, and obviously some splitter hubs to allow multiple audio outs.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Flippin heck! Didn't know they still made those things!
    I definitely wouldn't be buying it...and it is HUGE!

I've used these with little ones. Not cheaper but definitely more modern and you can download all sorts on to it. I found it fabulous in year 1 and it lasted well, despite some rather trying boys in year 1 doing all sorts!

If you need cheap, then this is ok, but not that great.

4. squashball

squashball New commenter

I think you need to stick with Coomber actually if you are going to buy anything - they are sturdy and easy for the children to use - we went through so many flimsy cheaper cd/tape players that got chucked off tables by mistake so whoever put in the order knows what they are talking about: Coombers are seriously heavyweight and can take a knocking. You might try putting a call out to local schools to see if any are selling theirs as they a bit last-century. Make sure you get one with an interactive docking station so that when CDs finally disappear they are still useful. Main advantage of Coombers is that children can record themselves very easily and it is really lovely to have 6 children listening to a story with headphones using a machine which will seriously NOT break down. I had this one:

http://www.coomberaudio.com/equipme...rder-IPad-Listening-Centre.html?for=education

sparklepig2002 and qforshort like this.