1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In my quarantine box I packed ....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Feb 27, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Won't the neighbours be upset when they find the hutch door open and Snowball gone?

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I went and bought my supplies this morning: dried pasta plus sauces; flour for the bread maker plus powdered yeast; tins of fruit, potatoes, peas, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, kidney beans; chicken pieces in the freezer; toilet rolls; plenty of onions and garlic.
    It's a start. :cool:
    If it is not needed over the next couple of months, it will roll over to help prepare for "no deal" at the end of the year.
    :confused:

3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Some very amusing answers here. Especially liking the Irn Bru as virus killer from @peakster, ‘husband-in-a-box’ from @BelleDuJour and the visual image of a freezer packed full of hand sanitiser from @LondonCanary :D

4. Ellakits

Ellakits Senior commenter

Well, it’ll keep him out of trouble!

emerald52 and Jamvic like this.
  5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Don't forget ammunition

6. Ellakits

Hmmm...eggs don’t keep....

If this turns out to be a zombie apocalypse type of virus, would one be justified in pinching next-door’s (live) chickens if anything happens to them?

Asking for a friend... :)

Nanny Ogg, emerald52, Alice K and 2 others like this.
  7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Nanny Ogg, emerald52 and Jamvic like this.
  8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It has its advantages!

9. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

I was recently back in the UK and brought back with me a box of 12 Creme Eggs and four packets of Tunnocks Caramel Wafers so that's what's going into mine.

10. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Wot, no cuddly toy?;)
    A lady in one of our local shops yesterday told me in all seriousness that Dettol wipes 'kill the Coronavirus and everything else is a waste of time'. So now we know...

11. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

It won't be the coronavirus that kills us, it'll be the ignorance.

Dragonlady30, Nanny Ogg and emerald52 like this.
  12. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Really? At last a use for aduki beans! You can store fresh eggs in water glass solution, but you have to get the mix right.

emerald52 likes this.
  13. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

She’s read the pack where it says....

Kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses**
    Kills Cold and Flu viruses**
    **Flu virus (Influenza - Type A H1N1), Cold viruses (Human Coronavirus and RSV)

emerald52 likes this.
  14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Eggs keep for over a month. But hens are better. And you can eat the hens if you run out of feed. I've bought two bags of layers' pellets, and a bag of wheat, which is their treat, but I'm going to keep it for us to eat just in case. I'm certainly not eating pellets!

Nanny Ogg, emerald52 and Ellakits like this.
  15. Ellakits

Yes! As well as being the best use of your otherwise unwanted aduki beans, it will also give you the reassurance that were this virus to make you breathe your last at least you’d have a lovely complexion! :D

*off to google storing eggs in a glass now*

Nanny Ogg, bonxie and emerald52 like this.
  16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You can hard boil and then pickle eggs, they form part of a balanced meal with a pint of Mackeson's stout.

primarycat, Nanny Ogg, nomad and 2 others like this.
  17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Don't forget loo rolls and tissues!
    I have enough flour (various types) to make bread, pasta and cakes to last several weeks. I just need to stock up on cereals and long-life milk ... and paracetemol. The latter is a faff as they only let you buy two packets at a time.

butties, Nanny Ogg and emerald52 like this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sadly my negotiations with Christina Hendricks' agent have fallen through, so I'm off to buy a maxi pack of baked beans.

emerald52 and Nanny Ogg like this.
  19. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

20. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

The usual food stuffs plus drinking water and pet food. Also added extra soap,shampoo, toothpaste and washing powder.bleach etc. If we're going to be quarantined at least we can keep clean.

butties and emerald52 like this.