1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In my new role as TES film critic (self appointed) - tomorrow I recommend...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by seren_dipity, May 15, 2009.

1. All About Eve - for a start it has the wonderful Bette Davis, a fabulous script and great performances. A classic! Saturday 16 May

3:25pm -

6:20pm

Film4

2. Something About Mary tonight at 10pm Channel 4. Now where did I put that hair gel?

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Gaaaaggggh! I was getting all excited! I love this film, how could I miss it being shown....then I saw - it's on Film 4! I don't get that. No freeview over here! Hrrrrumph! What's on BBC1or2 ITV1 or Channel4?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Not a chance. I'm picking the films and there'll be no guff!
    Ask emmapax - I'm good at this.
    The obvious accompaniment for All About Eve - glass of wine and a tub of pringles.

5. She is, you know!

6. Furiously rejigging my schedule for tomorrow.
    This is a 'must see' film.

7. NOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Bette.. denied! That's maddening. [​IMG]

8. Sure you are Seren but I will be watching Something About Mary. Other sure fire faves are Brief Encounter (probably more your kind of film Seren!) and The Graduate....so erotic without nudity.

9. Thanks for reminding me alter! Was so busy dancing round my front room to shakira that I didn't see the time!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The popcorn guff can take care of itself - I seek out the gems you might otherwise miss. Hence "All About Eve".
    I do watch guff.
    But my recommendations will be the good stuff.

11. I would be watching Something about Mary if a thunderstorm hadn't knocked out Channel 4. Missed Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares too. Grr.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm listening to Radio 2's programme about Billy Joel. Nothing on worth the effort of watching tonight.

13. seren, it may come as a surprise to you (!), but I appear to have forgotten to buy my copy of RT again this week (I know, I know...)
    Any chance you could find me a couple of gilt-edged 'must sees' for the weekend?
    I will be eternally grateful. [​IMG]

14. iplayer?
    Love BJ - saw him in concert @ the New York Giants stadium in 1990.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Okay...
    Saturday:
    All About Eve
    followed by another all time classic must see (I've just noticed this is on and it's wonderful):
    My Favourite Year - Peter OToole in a wonderfully funny performance as a drunk actor being minded by a naive young writer. Absolutely a joy to watch.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

sorry, My Favourite Year: Saturday 16 May

7:00pm -

9:00pm

TCM (you have ten minutes between films)
    I'll probably follow that by watching some stuff on iplayer: Have I Got News For You and John Barrowman (what can I say).

I saw him at the SECC - outstanding, what a performer, what a writer. He's a poet as well as a musical genius!

I'll look at Sunday.

17. Excellent! D working all weekend, so that's the very thing.
    Hugely underrated. I love 'New York State of Mind'. He IS a genius.
    I'm sure I'm related to you!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Dancing at Lughansa: Sunday 17 May

4:50pm -

6:40pm

Film4 Set in Ireland. One of those films that leaves you with a nice taste in your mouth. Meryl Streep plays one of 5 unmarried sisters. Cracking cast.
    You could go for Robin Hood Prince of Thieves - you can't go wrong with Costner and Freeman (8-10.50 Five)
    Last - a no-brainer: Gregory's Girl - the wonderful John Gordon Sinclair and Claire Grogan (along with whatsername): 10.50 BBC Scotland (if you have cable you should be able to get that - I occasionally watch BBC England when there's only guff on in Scotland). I love, love, love the scene where they're dancing on their backs looking up at the moon.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

[​IMG]
    My father did disappear when I was five....
    Get the magnums - you'll love them.

20. That'll do for me. Spoilt for choice. Merci buckets!
    I will go in search of the mini Magnums tomorrow.
    Happy pax! [​IMG]