1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In my 40's and I have no beauty routine- suggestions please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tod sal, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I have put this off as long as is possible. I have no idea how to apply make-up. I wear it maybe 3 times a year and am doing it like I did as a teenager ( not good!). I think what I have is not 'right'. (Not Olga Korbett bad but i'm sure it could be improved.) I rarely remember to use moisturiser and have no idea what toner is for. I have always thought that the beauty market is a way to snatch away my money, but being of that age, maybe I should start to be a little more pro-active. Or not... I sometimes think I look a little reddish and that does bother me. Thanks.

2. I have put this off as long as is possible. I have no idea how to apply make-up. I wear it maybe 3 times a year and am doing it like I did as a teenager ( not good!). I think what I have is not 'right'. (Not Olga Korbett bad but i'm sure it could be improved.) I rarely remember to use moisturiser and have no idea what toner is for. I have always thought that the beauty market is a way to snatch away my money, but being of that age, maybe I should start to be a little more pro-active. Or not... I sometimes think I look a little reddish and that does bother me. Thanks.

3. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

If you're serious about getting into a routine, I would recommend going somewhere like Boots or a department store and talking to the girls on the counters. Most brand-named counters like Clinique and Benefit offer a consultation where they'll tell you which of their products would suit you. They're free but they will try to flog you their expensive stuff.
    Does your skin appear dry? Does it feel tight? Oily? Do you get spots?
    I'm wash with Dove beauty-bar soap and moisturise with Olay Total afterwards. Then, if I'm wearing make-up, I put a skin primer on (I have the Accessorize one) which feels really weird and oily when it goes on but transforms my skin into velvety evenness. Then foundation, a touch of Touche Eclat on my eyes if needed, powder, Benetint blusher and black mascara.
    I never use toner and, like you, am not really sure what it's for. I think it's meant to calm your pores after cleansing but could be totally wrong.

4. Get a Clarins makeover at John Lewis or similar.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Which it is. The latest super moisturiser apparently is sudocrem. That thing you use on nappy rash. Last month it was plain E45.
    What you eat is also important. I could do better on my fruit and veg.

6. Cleanse, tone, night and morning.
    Moisturise, day and night.
    eye cream - just small amounts.
    Neck, throat, decollete cream.
    Above all, sun protection. For face and backs of hands, chest.
    Choose above to suit your skin type.
    Liz Earle is a good one - with the full range to suit skin types.
    I didn't at your age.
    It shows.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Go and treat yourself to a session as suggested . Bet you don't keep it up though, although you'll know what to do on the odd occasions you have the time and inclination.
    Nivea lotion all over for me. Massaging my knees is a priority - who knew!!

8. SUDOCREM??? You are kidding me.
    As a mother of three I challenge anybody to wear Sudocrem on their face. It doesn't rub in. That's the point.
    (Tis quite good for spots though, top tip, you heard it here first....)

9. Exercise
    Sleep
    Fruit and veg
    Sun protection
    Laughter
    Good sex
    Lots of water
    moisturise
    moisturise
    moisturise

Get these right, and you will have a great canvas on which to add the paint

10. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

That's what I thought when I read it!
    Simple stuff is pretty good - especially if you don't have masses to spend on beauty stuff. It's quite often on offer in Sainsbury's/Tesco/|Boots etc. so if you find you like it you can stock up for less!

11. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

I have a very simple skincare routine. I use soap on my face...shock horror!! Simple soap (I don't feel clean without using it) followed by Simple moisturiser- morning and night. I am told I have quite good skin - on my face - so it must work. I use a cocoa butter moisturiser all over on my body - every day after a shower. That's it for skincare. Then I use foundation, powder to stop shine, mascara and pale pink lipstick. I use Rimmel, No. 7 or L'Oreal for those items - so not overly expensive.I would echo the horror at using Sudocrem!!!! Definitely doesn't rub in and in fact goes quite greasy - yak as a beauty product! The spot thing works with it though - my daughter uses it!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

13. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I have very sensitive skin with some broken veins and dry cheeks. There are times when I don't wear make up for weeks. I'm in my late forties but am usually mistaken for much younger.
    General principle is to use the minimum necessary and to let the skin breathe while protecting it from sun and wind. Don't let sun onto your face if at all possible and avoid cigarette smoke completely.
    Clean with warm water on cotton wool if you haven't been wearing make up. This will leave your natural skin balance intact, whilst removing sweat, loose skin cells and grime.
    If you have been wearing make up, then find a light cleaner like BodyShop cucumber one or unperfumed baby lotion. Again, use cotton wool and rub gently to lift dead skin cells.
    Toner is unnecessary - warm water on cotton wool again if skin feels greasy.
    On cheeks and other dry patches, rub on a teeny bit of light moisturiser after cleansing.
    For natural make up use tinted moisturiser and dust with powder. Smudge of eye pencil shadow; outline lips with nice warm/neutral lip pencil and fill in with natural coloured warmish lipstick.

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Presumably those 'celebs' use Sudocreme as a sort of whitewash primer and then paint some colour over the top of it? That would explain their unnatural colour and alarmingly varnished finish.

I remember when Giraffelet number one covered her legs, face, arms and hair in Sudocreme. She was two and a half and had been 'helping' me change her baby sister. I turned round and saw these two enormous dark eyes shining out of what looked like clown make up. The chalky grease was everywhere for days. Brown fabric sofa took its fair share, I seem to recall.

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I use soap and water. I go out in the sun when I feel like it, not to sun bathe, but to do stuff that needs doing. I don't wear hats as they make my head itchy.
    I had one of those stupid makeover things at a party once and the lady said what lovely skin I have and I said it wes because I didn't put on any of the muck she was now applying, and she agreed with me! I don't understand why people wear make up. All it does is make you look as if you're wearing make up. And as for all the other gubbins with those products with clever sounding names like 'toner', well, I'd rather read a book! And save my money for something that's fun.I'm 48. The last timne I asked someone who didn't know how old I was they said 22! That's pushing it a bit, but make up just makes you look old. And a bit desperate.

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Sorry, that was very grumpy. I'm feeling in a bad mood this morning. Stupid Parentpay (how can schools deal with companies that put capital letters in the middle of their name? I refuse to goalong with this madness!) amd stupid 'verified by Visa' fake security system. But honestly, don't wear make up or use so-called beauty products if you don't want to. Unmade up people nearly always look younger, and they have so much extra time!

17. Hi. everyone praises my skin and I am 46.
    I use minimal makeup and for many years used none apart from mascara and a L'Oreal powder for my shiny nose! I am a great believer in letting the skin "breathe" and get loads of fresh air and exercise with 2 dogs!
    Now I use - Benefit tinted moisturiser - also have a Boots no7 tinted one too and a Dior lipstick (my treat to myself!) from John Lewis as it was £6 cheaper there than off Amazon. I only wear makeup to work or out. Do yoga and go swimming and for sauna and I think it would be torture to have all this stuff blocking the pores!
    I only use soap and water on my face unless I am taking off makeup. Then use makeup removing cream followed by a toner (Nivea). But I find the toners can be a wee bit astringent.
    I swear by seaweed!!!!!!! Lush used to do a fab moisturiser called ultralight which was seaweed based and I have some of that left and then I found an organic Scottish seafood skin nourishing cream on the net and have a jar which I use at night! Great organic ingredients! It was not cheap, but I use this at night and it has very very few chemicals so is near enough pure.

18. caress

caress New commenter

I swear by Vitamin E cream. Not the hugely expensive one, but Boots/Superdrug own brand. I used to wear tons of foundation but then I realised what a pain it was so now I moisturise & just use powder to take off the shine. If you do want a lovely foolproof pure make-up, the Bare Minerals stuff is great. You don't even need to wash it off! I don't use cleanser, I use wipes or soap and water like my mum did. She has beautiful skin.

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

Protect your neck and chest from sun and wind with whatever product that cuts out rays. If you don't, you'll end up crepy and dry before your time. Honestly.

20. That's not true. Applying make-up is an art and the widely-known secret is that it should be applied lightly and sparingly. Then, it enhances your appearance. Looking younger is almost an inevitable result.
    I have been using make-up since I was 14 and most people cannot tell. That's kinda the point...
    The beauty counter assistant look is awful, I will grant you that.