1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In memory of HelenREM

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ake, May 8, 2020.

1. ake

ake New commenter

HelenREMfan has been a regular contributor to these forums. You might have noticed that Helen has not posted this week. Sadly she passed away in hospital on Monday with her family at her bedside.

Those of you who've read or replied to Helen's posts will know her passion for education, advocacy for social justice and impish sense of humour. She was always willing to help people on these forums with support and advice.

I had the privilege of knowing Helen and worked with her for 8 years. She was a dedicated PE teacher and Head of Year. She had an unshakeable faith in her students and pushed them to achieve what they believed was impossible. Helen has been described in tributes from her former colleagues and students as 'Old-school firm but fair' and I'm sure she would have agreed with this. She was strong advocate for social-mobility, long before that phrase became fashionable. As Head of Year she gave her time selflessly to help vulnerable students. She was also an amazing colleague, supporting many a new entrant to the profession and one of those colleagues who would speak truth to power.

I hope you don't mind me breaking the sad news in the forum but I feel a tribute to her life and contributions here is appropriate and better than wondering why her posts stopped.

Rest in peace Helen.

eljefeb90, ms honey, WB and 35 others like this.
  2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Shocked. She was a great poster.

3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Oh my goodness.

My sincere condolences to her family and friends. I will miss her posts :(

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I don't believe it - I can't even think.

Curae, sodalime, KateSwisher and 6 others like this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

This is horrible, sad, sad news. I’m so shocked and upset to hear this. Helen was a much loved, kind and caring poster. She will be missed tremendously here. Deepest condolences to her family if reading these threads. RIP Helen. xx

Curae, needabreak, sodalime and 9 others like this.
  6. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

That's such a shock. I never met her but loved her posts as she could criticise the government, rail against the death of competitive sports, argue for the rights of the underdog and complain about her kitchen all at the same time. At least she lived her life to its very fullest every single day.

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Oh my god. I'm so sorry. And shocked.

Curae, sodalime, KateSwisher and 6 others like this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Noooooo. :(

I'd noticed a lack of posts but wasn't prepared for this news. :eek:

I'd met her at a couple of Meets and she was indeed a very special lady. :D

Thank you so much for posting and letting us know @ake.

EDIT and so much more poignant as ilovesooty said because she was our representative at tidal's funeral only very recently.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Curae, sodalime, phlogiston and 11 others like this.
  9. rararasputin

rararasputin Senior commenter

Oh man, what a shock. Please pass on my condolences to her family and friends. I always enjoyed her posts and nearly always agreed with her. RIP Helen, from a fellow REM fan x

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Thank you for letting us know, @ake.

11. ake

ake New commenter

Laughed in recognition at your comment. Helen was a force of nature and did indeed live life to the full. Many a time she bent my ear about whatever was wrong with school/DfE/Ofsted/the world etc Those who were lucky to to have met her will never forget her.

Curae, sodalime, KateSwisher and 14 others like this.
  12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

This is such sad and shocking news. I met Helen at the TES Manchester meet last year. Her contributions will be missed and we so much appreciated it when she represented us in saying goodbye to Tidal. Deepest condolences to her family and friends.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Very sad news. I met Helen several times and enjoyed her company both in real life and on here. My thoughts are with her family.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I am still - utterly stunned by this news.

Curae, sodalime, KateSwisher and 8 others like this.
  15. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Very sad and shocking news.

16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Indeed.
    I know she's 'struggled' physically at recent Meets and always had to travel with a travel-companion to negotiate the travel ,but she was always determined to just get on with life.

Curae, sodalime, KateSwisher and 5 others like this.
  17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Such a kind, selfless thing to do. It was so much appreciated by everyone here.

18. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I am so sorry to hear this news. I loved reading her posts. She will be sadly missed.

19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Yes and she took so much care in feeding back to us too.

20. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Oh my word, what a shock and a huge loss to her family and here on TES.
    Deep and sincere condolences to her family.
    With so much sadness and other negative emotions around at the moment, it's a timely reminder that we still need to show respect and care for one another.
    RIP Helen.