1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

in long term placement want to apply for permanent role - feeling bad!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pinkpolly, Feb 10, 2018.

1. pinkpolly

pinkpolly New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I have recently been offered a long-term placement which is part time (not really enough for me to live on) - I accepted as I need some kind of financial stability in the face of being newly out of a 2 year full time contract. I have seen a permanent job I want to apply for but I feel bad on the school I have taken the long term assignment through. I need the stability - I live alone and already am working half terms in another job to maintain some income. In addition, the summer is the worst time so even if I work up until then what am I meant to do for 6 weeks?
    I feel guilty wanting to have a permanent role and think maybe I shouldn't have taken this on as parents will expect me to be there to maintain continuity. However, having a permanent role is what I'm really aiming for.
    Please help, would it be so bad for me to apply for the perm role?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

100% not at all. Put yourself first. So long as you give some warning to the school that you are leaving to take a permanent job (only tell them if/ when you get it) it will not be an issue at all.

pepper5, JohnJCazorla and pinkpolly like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You MUST apply - the part time contract will end.

As a supply teacher you are a free agent - the school will find another supply

pepper5, JohnJCazorla and pinkpolly like this.
  4. pinkpolly

pinkpolly New commenter

Thank you

pepper5 likes this.
  5. pinkpolly

pinkpolly New commenter

Thank you

pepper5 likes this.
  6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Read the small print. You might be expected to give some kind of notice. I'm on long-term supply and the email giving contract details specifies 5 days on it.

Also you'll want the current head to be a referee so ask nicely and politely. It's even possible that your current school will offer you permanent (or at least a better deal) for the reasons you are feeling guilty about.

BUT DON'T YOU FEEL GUILTY, in this dog-eat-dog world of supply you have to be as ruthless as the schools and agencies, which is very ruthless indeed.

pepper5 and peakster like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

When I hit the supply circuit in 2014 it quickly became very apparent how cut-throat the business is.

If you are working - someone else isn't - you can't afford to worry about that.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. pinkpolly

pinkpolly New commenter

Thanks for your support everyone.