1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

$ in Istanbul

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by anon4033, May 8, 2012.

1. Sorry if this has been asked before - I seem to only find forum posts from 2005 - 2007 re teaching in Istanbul. "Teaching in Istanbul" not a good search term? :)
    On one of the old threads there was a post from an Aussie finding it hard to get good jobs. Try being South African! But, as said, cast the net wider so that's what I'll do.
    On that note, did not get any offers from international schools, but got one from a local school that will offer IB. My question is how far does a tax-free salary of USD3000 p/m take you? It also includes accommodation - not sure what type of accommodation exactly, I'd rather not speculate...
    I'm sure this is a LOT less than what int schools pay.
    Shall I assume I won't be able to save on a salary like that?
    Many thanks

2. Sorry if this has been asked before - I seem to only find forum posts from 2005 - 2007 re teaching in Istanbul. "Teaching in Istanbul" not a good search term? :)
    On one of the old threads there was a post from an Aussie finding it hard to get good jobs. Try being South African! But, as said, cast the net wider so that's what I'll do.
    On that note, did not get any offers from international schools, but got one from a local school that will offer IB. My question is how far does a tax-free salary of USD3000 p/m take you? It also includes accommodation - not sure what type of accommodation exactly, I'd rather not speculate...
    I'm sure this is a LOT less than what int schools pay.
    Shall I assume I won't be able to save on a salary like that?
    Many thanks

3. That sounds like an excellent salary! Especially if accommadation is included! That means all you have are food, going out, etc.
    Does it also include flights?

4. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I worked in Istanbul for 6 years, but for the life of me I cannot remember how much I earned.
    However, I would agree that $3000 plus accommodation sounds pretty good. That is on the assumption that flights and health insurance are included.
    If you are fairly young, single and looking for a really dynamic city, you could do a heck of a lot worse. (I am middle aged with family, but I still had a good time!)

5. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

I worked in Istanbul on a package of around £1500 and accommodation, lower than you've been offered.
    Not sure why you think you'd not be able to save. Life is very cheap when you take out the accommodation costs. I ate out every weekend - decemt daily meals were provided at school - and saved a £1000 a month.
    Istanbul is a great city and I'd happily return there. Enjoy.

6. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

It's well dodgy.

7. Has the school offered any contacts with teachers working there now, that you could ask them? That might be a good question, as much for the tenor of the response as well as the help it could provide on how things are done at the school. If the issue is that it doesn't have its act together, you'll be able to tell, if instead, Turkish beaurocracy is respnsible for the length of the wait, I wouldn't necessarily hold that against the school. More important would be their response for the emails of people you could talk with honestly at the school.
    If your pay specifies that you will receive $30,000 in ten monthly installments, that's not far from what I've heard schools could pay there. Other people here on the forum have mentioned $2,400 (about) a month, in Istanbul. Using a twelve month pay cycle, that would come to 28,800$ a year. So in the neighborhood. If everything else looked on the up and up about the school, you would need to calculate and save your own summer income from each month's pay. It could be done. I would weigh other factors before deciding whether I wanted to.
    By the way, is the 3K tax free?

8. Hi Penelope and thanks. Yeah, I've worked it out over a 12 month cycle too, and yes, it's tax free. This is a brand new school. If I understand correctly, their other schools have foreign teachers, but they're EFL teachers, I assume that means not necessarily with teacher qualifications, maybe only a TEFL diploma or something. As for the IB school, they're employing primary teachers with ESL experience - he called it an ESL school as opposed to EFL. So there's no one to talk to yet, but that would have been the way to go yes. I'll have to wait til I can have a good look at the contract to find more answers I guess.
    Thanks again

9. Hm. Another factor to weigh: will you gain IB experience? If you have it already, not a big deal, if you don't, it's something heads say to winnow you out. Before you have IB experience, they say, "Can't hire you, you don't have experience." Which effectively perpetuates your lack of having experience. [​IMG]
    If you are already in an international school, that box is already checked, but if not, that could sell it more too. So, there could be other values to the position.

Then there's the old fashioned googling leadership's names and seeing what comes up.
    I'm not really sure of the significance between S and F in this case, possibly just the origin of the speaker or year they graduated. For everyone for whom English would be a second language, it would also be Foreign enough, too. Isn't every additional language foreign by definition?

10. Just reread that you're in Singapore, so maybe the IB thing doesn't help you either. But I just thought of something: the housing and visa for the 2 remaining months? If they're not paying you during those 2 months, I would suspect those could become problems too.

11. NO, actually do want to gain IB experience. They pay for course. Implemented Eng nat curr in Sing. Very good point about summer months. Because the whole system's new to them too i.e. trying to be more like an int school, he did say he will mention points we made during interview to his superiors, like 2 yr contracts, shipping allowance etc. So for now it's a one year, or 10 mth contract. But yeah, if you decide to stay, WHERE do you stay??
    great thoughts, thanks again:)

12. Actually there is a difference between ESL and EFL. EFL is generally in a setting where there isn't any immersion. For example, English is taught as a foreign language in evening classes in a non-English speaking country.
    ESL generally has some sort of immersive environment, for example, English lessons for immigrants living in an English-speaking country.

By stating that it was ESL rather than EFL, he was making the point that you wouldn't be teaching beginner English, that (in all likelihood) your pupils had been extensively schooled in English and had a good level.

Most international school teachers teach ESL rather than EFL. We do not teach them how to speak English per se, we teach them IN English, brushing them up on it on the way.

13. [​IMG]