1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In easy language.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cosmosinfrance, Jan 25, 2016.

1. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Please can someone tell me why my telly won't switch on. I've changed the batteries on the remote control but no joy. It's a new telly so shouldn't have given up the ghost yet.....

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Can you switch it on from the telly itself?
    Has the fuse in the plug gone?
    If so it might be the remote.
    How new is it?

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Was it working before ? As you often mention watching UK programmes, I assume that you have a box linked to your tv. Do you maybe need to switch settings?

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Is there power to the telly, or nothing at all?
    Are any lights on, for example?

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Maybe the remote is faulty?

6. cosmosinfrance

No lights on the telly but it is connected to the sky box and that is lit up.
    I can't see any means of turning it on from the telly itself

It was working fine this morning

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Husband says fuse?

If it were me,I would switch both tv and box off and back on again.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Have you tried switching the whole lot off, waiting 30 seconds and switching it on again?

9. cosmosinfrance

Done that already catmum, but I'll give it another go........

10. cosmosinfrance

OMG! It worked this time - not the previous four times but no matter.

Many thanks to you all

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Is there any light coming out of the remote when you're pointing it at the tv? Can the tv be switched on manually?

12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Could be the power lead a bit loose and fiddling around has reconnected. Worth checking all pushed in properly to try and prevent it happening again.

wanet likes this.
  13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Good!

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Might it have gone into some sort of power-saving standby mode? It might have needed a decent pause to clear it.

Your remote is probably infra red so you wouldn't be able to see it flashing when you press the buttons. However, a sneaky way round this is to point the remote at the lens of a digital camera (including phone) and see if the camera detects flashes when you press the buttons. Many digital camera sensors are infra red sensitive.

On older TV remotes the micro switches under the keys can get gunked up with use. Carefully dismantling the remote and wiping the switch contacts with solvent usually sorts it, but it's a last resort.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Now that TVs can tell you what the schedule is, I reckon the TV was fed up with your choice of programmes and refused to play ball until they were over. See if it keeps happening when soaps and reality TV programmes are on, but not when when documentaries are being broadcast.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have had my flatscreen for the last 5 years. I have always turned it on and off at the plug then use the remote to take it from standby to working. On saturday my son moved it to plug a lead into the back and inadvertently switched it off using a set of buttons on the side that I didn't even know were there!

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I was going to say have you checked the fuse to the TVbut as its working it doesnt matter.If like my wife you click the wrong button on any of the 2 remotes you do manage to find you have no TV.or you then discover its Virgin is upgrading aor the set up box is not functioning because said person has switched off the box,usually at 6.30 in the morning, then comes to tell me there is a problem.:(