1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

In desperate need..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by daffodilval, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Agrrrrrhhh...to celebrate THE Royal wedding, amongst other activites, my school are having a dressing up day (kids and staff) in Kings and Queens clothes..
    Problem..I need a Queen/Princess dress..most local and online shops seem to only hire the the raunchy type, not really appropriate for a school one may say!
    No luck on Ebay either, obviously, I dont want to spend a lot on something I will never wear again...(can't afford to anyway). Anybody got an old bridesmaid dress they want to get rid of?
    (I detest dessing up days)

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

No Disney princess ones? Sure they exist for adults...

3. Yeah, about size 6 with a 2 inch skirt!

4. They do....but they are very slutty.

5. AUDULT fancy dress hire means something entirely different in Google land..

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Make a hole in an old sheet to put your head through and tie a lurid ribbon round the waist. Vivienne Westwood eat your heart out. You can buy a plastic tiara in a toy shop.

7. Ooops. that was meant to say ADULT...

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

9. white suit with sequins?

10. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Oh man.... I wish we had a dress up day :( I like dressing up I do.

11. Thanks for the replies.
    Just a few pobs though,
    I am a 16's, anytthing over 40 quid is way out of my reach, and I don't own a white suite. Looks like a trail around the charity shops is for me

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Surely if you're dressing up as the queen all you need is a smart coat, a hat and a smart (but empty) handbag.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Could you dress up as Burger King?

14. Do you have a theatre in your town? In Leeds the Playhouse wardrobe hires out costumes.

15. Burger King? hehe
    Seriously though, its madness, why couldn't we have just made a crown? It would be a lot simpler and much cheaper. (Bah Humbug)

16. Lily, interesting, thanks, might look into to that idea..

17. henriette

henriette New commenter

wedding dress from Oxfam et al???????????

18. Am thinking along that idea Henrette.

19. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Go as a playing card.
    Or wear a tweed skirt and a headscarf - carry a toy dog.

20. Why not see if you can find a long black dress in a charity shop, sew on some lace around the collar and cuffs and buy a cheap veil (or use net curtain) and a little cheap tiaria thingie from somewhere (or use a hair band and stick on some beads) and go as Queen Victoria?
    I bet you could knock up something like that for under 20 quid.
    Sorta like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUEEN-VICTORIA-victorian-fancy-dress-costume-12-14-/310293718651?pt=Adult_Fancy_Dress_UK&hash=item483ef2667b
    Even making a sash wouldn't be pricey - and if you ask around, some one at work or a friend may have some remnant lace/net curtain/material for a sash they could give you for free.
    All you really need to find is the dress.