1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In desperate need of some help

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by deleted959, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I´m currently studying special education at the University of Erfurt (Germany). For one of my English courses I´m searching for a teacher, who is interested in doing an interview with me.
    Actually, I found someone who agreed to do the interview with me, but now she doesn´t reply anymore. Therefore, I ´m in desperate need of some help. (the deadline is on Tuesday February 1st 2011)
    The aim of the interview is to find out reliable information according to foreign school systems and teacher&acute;s experiences in other countries. <font face="Times New Roman"> </font>

The interview should take no longer than 30 minutes. It shall be done via Skype and parts of it will be recorded. <font face="Times New Roman"> </font>
    If you are interested, please let me know.
    Contact: Melanie Hofmann (Email: melanie.hofmann@stud.uni-erfurt.de, Skype: melanie.hofmann_010688)
    You would really help me a lot.

Regards
    Melanie

2. Hi all,

I&acute;m currently studying special education at the University of Erfurt (Germany). For one of my English courses I&acute;m searching for a teacher, who is interested in doing an interview with me.
    Actually, I found someone who agreed to do the interview with me, but now she doesn&acute;t reply anymore. Therefore, I &acute;m in desperate need of some help. (the deadline is on Tuesday February 1st 2011)
    The aim of the interview is to find out reliable information according to foreign school systems and teacher&acute;s experiences in other countries. <font face="Times New Roman"> </font>

The interview should take no longer than 30 minutes. It shall be done via Skype and parts of it will be recorded. <font face="Times New Roman"> </font>
    If you are interested, please let me know.
    Contact: Melanie Hofmann (Email: melanie.hofmann@stud.uni-erfurt.de, Skype: melanie.hofmann_010688)
    You would really help me a lot.

Regards
    Melanie

3. Hi Melanie

I'm afraid that any teacher you speak to will only be able to tell you about his or her own experience. Schools in England (and in Wales and Scotland for that matter) are all incredibly different. They are a result of their location, the intake, the senior leadership team. As a result, I'm not sure there's such a thing as "reliable information" about the English "school system". I say this, of course, without knowing what types of questions you want the answer to, or what kind of information you require. I'd suggest that it's unlikely that you'll find anyone prepared to assist you in the way you would like.

My suggestion would be to re-evaluate the type to response you want. That is to say, instead to conducting a recorded interview, construct a questionnaire. If it were a sensible length, and the questions devised in such a way that they are possible and appropriate for teachers to answer, especially ones who are pushed for time, you will probably find many who are willing to help. These forums would be an ideal place to start in canvassing responses.

I'm sorry if this isn't the kind of response you were hoping for, but I really don't think you'll find anyone to help you in the way you ask, especially at this late stage. If someone does email you this evening or during tomorrow, then I'll be very pleased for you, and I'll eat my words.

Best,

M

4. Hi M,
    Thank you for your reply. I appreciate criticism. It&acute;s good to know that my text is quite ambiguous.
    Maybe I&acute;ve just chosen inappropriate words to express my request. My English isn&acute;t that perfect...
    The course is about "comparisons of education systems" (English speaking countries all over the world).
    I&acute;m well aware that the interview shows merely one subjective perspective. But even one perspective can broaden your horizon. The intention behind is not to list characteristics of the different school systems, but to get an impression of how foreign school systems could work and how teachers manage their everyday school life.
    The questions are quite personal, but the interview doesn&acute;t comprise questions like "Do you like the English schools system" or something like that. Most of the questions have to do with the teachers every day life, the school structure (of this specific school), the teachers teaching strategies
    Reards
    Melanie

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sorry can't help, I don't have skype

6. I&acute;ve already finished the interview.
    Thanks for your reply anyway

7. I'm really glad you were able to finish the interview. I wouldn't worry about your English; it's pretty brilliant - what you said wasn't ambiguous, just you hadn't given all the details, which is fine.

Good luck with the rest of your course. :)

M