1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In Defence of a Liberal education

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Nerudapaz, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Nerudapaz

Nerudapaz New commenter

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

It's subscription . . .

3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Don't worry, I read the first chunk and it's the usual right wing Spectator harrumphing.

borges33 and bigjimmy2 like this.
  4. Nerudapaz

Nerudapaz New commenter

I find your response to the Spectator (as a publication in itself) more interesting than the contents of the article. You have nothing to say at all about the content, or did you just read the first paragraph and base your entire judgement on that? I find the entrenched views of many people now to be extremely worrying. There seems to be a lack of any kind of discourse on just about anything, with discussion shut down by ad hominem remarks rather than any kind of considered argument. Ironically, all in the spirit of the point of the article.
    I could copy and paste the article if anyone's interested.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  5. bigjimmy2

I think you'd need to, no-one can read it otherwise.

6. OwerAuld

OwerAuld Occasional commenter

Even with full referencing, surely copyright issues with copy pasting the entire article. Not that I have any great desire to read it in full, I think we all get the gist of it.

7. BillyBobJoe

It was a bizarre rant about lefty indoctrination in state schools based on a few highly implausible anecdotes. I read until the paywall kicked in and didn't see anything that suggested an evidence-based or coherent argument was going to emerge. The tone and content are entirely in keeping with the usual output of the Spectator.

8. Nerudapaz

Nerudapaz New commenter

Apologies for posting a subscription only article. You can normally read a few without charge. In a sense, the article is indeed bemoaning the state of political indoctrination within the current education system, and I thought it would be interesting to hear the views of other teachers but, almost in pavlovianan style, the mere sight of the publication's name and a complete dismissal of its contents ensues by anyone who wants to make comment. It would be refreshing to see an actual argument now and then.

9. BillyBobJoe

My argument is that the article is based on a false premise (that teachers are left wing and intent on indoctrinating students) and that is entirely unsurprising given the well known biases of the author and the publication. Rather than bemoaning a lack of argument from others why not try constructing one of your own for people to respond to? Posting a ludicrous and inflammatory link without expressing an opinion of your own looks an awful lot like trolling.

10. bigjimmy2

I'd love to contribute but can't argue for or against anything . . .

11. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter