1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

in-built PCs vs no in-built PCs

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by bugsbunny, Aug 11, 2015.

1. bugsbunny

bugsbunny New commenter

Hello, I looking to buy iBoardTouchs and have to decide between in-built PCs or without. All the teachers have a laptop so would an in-built PC be unnecessary? I've been asked to look into this and at the moment the only advantage I can think of is less wiring! Plus when the PC needs updating that will be an additional cost as I can't see teacher laptops being phased out in favour of the iBoard. What do others think? I would be grateful for suggestions as when it comes to more technical aspects I feel very uncertain. Thank you.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I suggest you post on Edugeek which is an incredibly helpful forum with loads of tech expertise.

3. It depends on how the teachers in the classroom use the board, which itself seems to depend on the yeargroup they are teaching. We've gone for built-in PCs in our new boards for our nursery / Year 1 classrooms as the teachers want to have a separate PC for the children to use during free play sessions, but that probably doesn't hold much further up the school. It does also depend on your budget, of course - if it's any help, the standard for the slot-plugable PCs most boards use is an "OPS pluggable PC" - you might be able to buy a compatible PC for cheaper that buying one included with the board.