1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In a restaurant

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Janna5, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Hello teachers!
    I have to teach how to order food in a restaurant to my y8 French pupils but I am stuck for ideas.
    So far I have been teaching them food items and phrases like il faut acheter ou je voudrais; the last lesson was about being able to go to the market and buy items (I'm using expo 2 rouge).
    I would like it to be fun, because they have been going through so much vocabulary in this module, they worked very hard and most of them did really well in all the vocab tests I give them each week.
    So I would like a lesson in which they can use all they have been learning in a fun and rewarding way. I don't think that just pretending to be in a restaurant is going to do the job.
    What kind of activities would you suggest to make sure that they all have a chance to practise speaking in a way that will not make them feel self-conscious?
    Thank you!

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I made my Y8 work in groups of 3. They had to write a play (with the support of some phrases) and I encouraged them to be as creative as possible (they love drama) so I ended up with several diners walking out of the restaurant because the food was disgusting, or complaining that they had received the wrong order, etc. Having a few props helps them perform well (notepad, tray, plastic cutlery etc). Get the rest of the group to write details of what has been ordered etc to make it into a listening exercise for the non-performers. It takes a lot of lesson time (at least one lesson to write, at least one to perform) but it covers a lot of ground so it is justifiable I think.

3. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

Why not? Role plays in the restaurant are fun. As the previous poster said, there could be some sort of problem that they need to think of themselves, such as a rude waiter, greedy customer, argunent about the price, food poisoning or whatever.