1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In a quandary

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Anon92181738, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Anon92181738

Anon92181738 New commenter

Will try to be brief... So I started in a new school in September. The job I originally applied for was a KS3 coordinator but I am now acting HOD covering maternity leave (some time after accepting the job I was asked about doing this role). I was HOD in my previous school but it was a tiny department and the school was a lot smaller. I have some concerns about the school I have moved to but the experience leading a bigger dept. is useful. A HOD job has now come up closer to home in a school I have heard many positives things about. However, I worried if I apply my short stint in current school will reflect badly on app. and am unsure how I would justify the move to a smaller school and dept. Initially I didn't think I wanted hod again but now I have gained a bit mor experience and confidence I think this is what I need. Any advice would be helpful please.o_O

2. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

The main thing I would clutch on to is the fact that the NEW HOD position is permanent whereas your current one is not, so I'd be tempted to go down the road of "Leading a team is my passion and I would prefer to do this full time"

3. Anon92181738

Thank you. Do you think the fact I left a a hod role to take on a ķs3 coordinator role role will be an issue?

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Depends how you play it really. Also depends on the views of those employing you. Why did you leave? was it simply you wanted to move to a bigger school? I think you could be fine pushing that.

Some schools will be wary of you applying for a new position so early. When is the start date? I suppose that your current school would understand more though as it is a promotion rather than a sidewards move

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As @DYNAMO67 says!

Do come down to the Jobseekers Forum for advice on applications - start a thread and ask me.

Best wishes

6. Anon92181738

Hi again
    So the start date is April. I left my previous school for a few reasons: bigger department - I missed the support of a team. I line managed one other and a supply for sometime due to 2 lots of mat cover in the dept. Just felt needed more of a team. But more than that, it was a crazy academy, pressure was extreme and the working conditions unsustainable. I know of 8 staff who have handed their notice in since September. It wasn't a great working environment as many staff were disgruntled. I did four years there and needed a change. Also wanted more of a work life balance but since I am doing the hod role that has not gone as much as planned. Problem is moved a few times before that but one move was as a result of a post in a private school which was struggling financially and has now closed down. I know too many moves doesn't look good.
    Really not sure what to do. It is closer to home and an opportunity to develop a growing dept. in a growing school.
    Guess I'll just have to have a long hard think!
    Thanks for your advice.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck with the long hard think . . . but do come and ask me for help on Jobseekers if you need it.

Best wishes

8. Anon92181738

Ok will do.
    Many thanks