1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In a pub that had every beer in the world, perfectly served, which would you choose and why?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't think any evidence has been shown to prove that Heineken refreshes the parts that other beers can't reach, however I suspect that we each have our preferences for beers we feel are in with a fair chance of reaching the bits that matter, when we can get them and when the pub has the time to look after them properly.

I remember some years ago recommending a poster try Fullers ESB if he ever had the chance in preference to his choice of the disappointment his recommendation of Timothy Tailor's. I'd been up his way a week or so before and not only suffered his recommendation but when a fellow patron of the pub stood beside me in the toilet and commented "They flog it to you and get it all back when you leave", I realised the wisdom in his words.

Sadly our much loved friend chose to take my advice on the best beer I've found in the havoc of the bar in a busy railway station, most likely sampling the dregs of the barrel. Were it possible we could organise a pub crawl of each other's favourite haunts. Maybe we might prove to each other we were both right.

Your homework for today is to define why you prefer one beer over the rest, say whether you'd be prepared to travel to drink it and how you'll make your way home again after i.e. by driving, getting a lift or have the fortuosity of owning a dog that will drag you back home..

2. Mullam

Mullam Occasional commenter

I'll have whatever Nigel is having. Same as you, I'd imagine? ;)

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

He comes across as being a pi$$ artist and a bore to share a drink with. We might well share a similar taste for beer, but I doubt the same pubs.If he ever did venture into a pub I was in, I doubt I'd decline him a light of a fag or tell my dog off if he felt inclined to warn us of the danger that was present in our midst. Dogs understand things that humans are more timid to express in the way dogs can.

Now there's a tip you can give Nigel. Invest in dogs and train them to bark every time a foreigner sets foot in Britain. He'd like that, wouldn't he? You'd get a bonus in your UKIP salary.

4. ulambasalu

ulambasalu Occasional commenter

You're a regular single issue bore Duke. Spin the other side;)

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Joules Stone ale. My Father in law introduced me to this beer in 1967. The brewery (in Stone Staffordshire) closed in the 1980's, I could only handle 3 pints it was very heavy beer and had a unique very bitter flavour.

6. ulambasalu

ulambasalu Occasional commenter

Mitchells and Butler's Brew XI in the sixties and seventies.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My beer-drinking days are over.

I used to live within sniffing distance of Banks's in Wolvo.

Imagine my confusion when I went to Barbados!
    upload_2015-12-8_9-33-31.png

cissy3 likes this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Anyone remember Double Diamond by Ind Coop? Syrupy and fizzy.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

In my youth and rarely, I was known to imbibe Newcastle Brown ale.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Hardly any of those not-so-old brands seem to exist any more, remember "Beer at home means Davenports"? my dad and granddad used to get it delivered occasionally.

As for any one beer, I could never settle on one and I think context of where it is, who you are with, what you did that day, are you on holiday, is it a w/e etc. etc. mean the actual beer is of secondary importance for total enjoyment.

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Of all the beer joints in all the towns in all the world I'd have to walk into yours, Duke. But even then I wouldn't drink any beer.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

McSorley's dark ale...in McSorley's Tavern, Greenwich Village, New York...
    [​IMG]

upload_2015-12-8_12-48-41.jpeg

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Me too!!!

14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Rodenbach Alexander. I mourn its passing.