1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In a pickle

Discussion in 'Personal' started by papillon74, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Hi all

Long time reader, first time poster so please be gentle...

Here is my problem, hoping that someone on this good forum will have words of wisdom for me...

Hubby and I have been apart (work related) for the past few months, we have 2 small children whom he comes to see every weekend. He has just started applying for jobs where I work so that we can get reunited in September . So far so good.

He has applied for 4 jobs (in top independent schools), all of which asked him for interview. The first one was last week, and he didn't get it. He took it so badly that he has decided to pull out of all interviews as he doesn't want to put himself in a position of failure (he has always found interviews very difficult to deal with and has serious self-worth issues), and has decided to go on supply instead. This is really worrying me giving the precarious situation of all the supply teachers I know, and the job situation in general, and he doesn't seem to understand that the chances of him getting any kind of a job without actually getting interviewed are slim to none.

Whilst I understand and empathize with his situation, there is no way I will be able to support all the family on my very slim salary and have no intention of moving back where his current job is - the children are happy and settled, and it has taken me a while to finally feel I am going somewhere professionally. I have had to make many sacrifices to accommodate him without much in return and I really don't think I could cope with another few years of financial uncertainty. I'm on the wrong side of thirty (by a quite a stretch...) and with two young children to think about I need to know I won't struggle to get them what they need. Part of me even feels angry at him for not acting as a responsible father and giving up so easily.

I feel selfish, unsupportive, really stressed and rubbish but I have given up so much already and I can't bear the thought of going back living on next to nothing and counting the pennies for everything and anything...

Thanks for reading.

Any and all suggestions very gratefully received