1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In 2017 for the first time, I did ---- What did you get up to?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Dec 30, 2017.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I went to an American football match at Wembley. Never been to Wembley and never seen a live American football match. What a strange affair. All sorts of pyrotechnics and guys running around in helmets and pads that make them look like fetuses or something. There are about 60 in a team and they all take turns for a few seconds. Then they go and sit on the bench breathing oxygen. Meanwhile the Cheer leaders dance about non stop for the whole two or three hours (the game clock keeps stopping for TV adverts and to allow the players to talk in a huddle). The Cheerleaders are really the athletes here! I bought a hotdog and a cup of tea for £10. Yes that is right --£10!

The game was rather dire. The Miami Dolphins were playing the New Orleans Saints. Both teams were clearly jet lagged from the flight over, but the Saints less so, and they won. I enjoyed the day out all the same.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

American Football is a bit like Cricket - you have to be a devotee to enjoy the game.

But it does take a while.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Hee hee. My one true desire, it to go to a real life NFL game (NFC ideally but I'd do AFC if I'm that side of the country I suppose) - I've got as far as visiting a couple of stadiums but always out of season.

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

It is a game that works well on TV. But more to the point, what did you get up to that was new to you in 2017 (that you can share)?

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I went on holiday outside the main school holidays for the first time in over 30 years (we have a two-week October half-term break and the second week extends into November, when most are back at school).

It was great. We arrived at the Tui check-in at Gatwick and there was no queue at all. We had a lovely week in Cyprus, enjoying the early November sunshine and warmth. We crossed the Green Line in Nicosia, which made for a very interesting afternoon.

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I had to think about that one
    I've done nothing completely new at all. :(
    Best I can offer is being allowed to play with other peoples toys. Most far more expensive than I can afford but it demonstrates that I have managed to acquire the recognition of some skills amongst the local hobbyists:cool:

I've spent time in some new wards in the local hospitals which serve different disciplines but we all do that as we age:oops::D

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've been to a few games in Pittsburgh (my team).

Great atmosphere - much better than football here.

TCSC47 likes this.
  8. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I'm trying to think...it's been a bit of a 'meh' year.

9. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I've had internal views of my bladder and bowel. Interesting to no-one but me. :D
    Saw the eclipse but I've seen one before.

Otherwise, one long series of same-old. o_O

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Barack Obama followed me on Twitter.
    My work is done.

TCSC47, lindenlea, nomad and 8 others like this.
  11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Spent a whole year without my mother. It was strange, despite our ups and downs.

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

And on a lighter note - seen my first and second football teams play one another for the first and probably only time ever.

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I had a few firsts, most of which I've already mentioned at some point. I hope 2018 is as ok as 2017 as. Maybe it'll be better?

(Immediately regrets saying that, touches wood)

14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Started watercolour painting classes. Very absorbing - forgive the pun.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Started my own business.
    Decided to give up teaching.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Went to my first ever spin class...and went back for a few more.
    Hopefully keep that going in 2018.

Failed to get shortlisted when applying for a new post...
    Hopefully not repeating that in 2018!

17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Such a difficult medium! Don't be tempted to use white (if you have white in your paintbox)

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Got a regular spot on local radio.

TCSC47 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Started Pilates and Zumba and restarted Yoga.
    Went to the Royal Albert Hall.

TCSC47 likes this.
  20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Went to the Royal Albert Hall for the first time too @foxtail3 :). Also went on holiday with a group of friends. Had my son's partner to stay. Let my hair go grey. All successful I'm happy to say and would do all of them again.

TCSC47 likes this.