1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

improving writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jog_on, Aug 11, 2008.

1. We're using Wendy Edwards. She does reading into writing. We do a week of writing and on the Fri of that week begin to plan our own version of the text. Then 2nd week do lots of writing from plan and editing then 3rd week back to reading. They also do 1 assessed piece every 2 weeks so they are constantly practising the layout/strucuture of different texts/genres. We only assess the 6 children we're doing APP for in real levelled detail.

We also incorporate VCOP and use visual literacy. Our focus is to get the children to write well, WOW words, connectives, creativity and work on punctuation last as if you look closely at SATs mark schemes this is awarded the least marks, apart from handwriting.

Anyone know who did or where I can get ideas about the idea that all punctuation has a noise/sound effect??? Hope that makes sense.

2. Found the Kung Fu Punctuation!

Just been on the wikipages...thanks x

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Sounds different cb!

Would love to hear more about it or see some plans!

x

4. Kung Fu Punctuation is on the Big Writing games cd from Fiery Ideas/Ros Wilson

I've been incorporating past Sats short and long writing into my curriculum and not telling the kids - seems to be working well. In science they did the Tongo lizard short writing as we are doing animal adaptations. The 2006 diary writing I have rewritten and linked it to the Boat show trip we went on.

5. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

Who is Wendy Edwards? I have never heard of her?

6. and does she mind be used?

7. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Bump!

8. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

up - would love to know more from cbdixon!

9. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I would be interested to hear how teachers introuduce writing...for example do you like at different examples of work before you begin? If so where do you normally find these...I have been trying to type my own versions of texts. I still can not find this site online can you email me the link Jog on please?