1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

improving writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jog_on, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Of course it's ok...do you want me to add it to the contents list on the left?...I changed it so there weren't as many pages on there!

2. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

Improving writing in general with specific reference to the boys. Silly to be down after only one day I know.

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

You've gone back already? We go back on Monday, kids in on Tuesday [​IMG]

I think that working together on the wikispace will help everyone be a little more creative and focused on improving the standard of writing in our classes. I know I need to work a lot harder this year!

When we're feeling down, we're there supporting one another!

Good luck to all [​IMG]

4. I am just creating an inspiration area for my classroom. I have found a picture on the internet and created a poster asking questions like what would you feel, see, smell etc for chn to use as prompts to annotate around. Does that make sense? Basically get them to start applying all this wow vocab they are going to come up with ( [​IMG] ) in a different setting to their every day english work!

5. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

I love it!!! Could have it as one of the activities during guided reading time perhaps. What picture have you used?

Sounds fab! [​IMG]

6. Thanks I used a circus scene, I will email you the rough draft to see what you think.

7. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Oooh...yes please! Thank you [​IMG]

8. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Love the idea WTP and think it could really help the chn! Perhaps for younger chn, a really simple sentence could be written, but they could use ideas posted around the photo on post-it notes to help them improve the sentence. Guess you could use it as part of a wow word display!

9. They could be linked yes although at the moment my wow word display is a giant spiderman and web from tescos so they don't quite fit together! But when I move things about I will think about linking them. Thanks for the other ideas in the email JO.

10. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Maybe we could start a new thread about this! Think it might get lost on here a little bit!

11. Our kids started back today too and I can tell it's not going to be an easy year [​IMG] I have year 5 and asked them to think of wow words to describe chestnut trees (so we can do some poetry tomorrow) and the best most of them could do was big and tall. Asked for a better word for big I got very big. Oh brother!

12. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Why don't you get them all pretending to be chestnut trees tomorrow and get them to describe what they are doing and why e.g. I'm stretching my arms up high because chestnut trees tower high (put several words in the bin before you start e.g. big, tall)???

Sounds like lots of fun! [​IMG]

13. You made me chuckle with this squiggle7! I had a year 5 group once who asked me what enormous meant - as it was a new school it made me wonder - fortunately it was a try-on though it was a year group that once experienced was never quite forgotten!

14. How about bribing them with a conker contest if they can come up with some fab words to describe the things!

15. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am thinking of looking at this area for my dissertaion. This may be a silly question but what is Wilispace? [​IMG]

16. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

wikispaces are areas where people can basically upload stuff, chat, add pages - check it out...I'm not allowed to advertise, but I'm sure you'll be able to see the link! [​IMG]

17. peepo

peepo New commenter

Hi

tried to catch you earlier on my thread about Yr.4 poetry- Just wanted to ask about Wikispaces.

Do you have to register for each one separately? also do you have to have an invite to access everything on th eplanning one. Just wanted to have a look at your planning for yr.4 narrative using Terry Deary books.

18. peepo

peepo New commenter

sorry, hadn't looked at it (planning on improving writing wikispace) properly- realise now that It was just a message not a link" Saw 'protected' next to it and thought I needed some sort of access code!

19. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

No worries...hopefully as planning is done it will be uploaded onto there. In the meantime, we're just throwing ideas around really.

Do come and join us though...would be nice to have lots of people contributing! Just click on join and that should send me an email and I'll approve you! [​IMG]

20. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Up! Even though I'm probably breaking the rules by doing so!!! [​IMG]