1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

improving writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jog_on, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

How will Mrs Sats Marker work?

2. sounds like a good idea

3. Have sent you email with some Really Useful Stuff stickers I've just started work on - moved away from idea of a journal and decided to do a set of stickers with exercises on ppt for IWB or to be photocopied and then link in one of the activities from VCOP teacher.

4. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

it all sounds great! Im racking my brains to add some ideas that haven't already been done! Julia, would you be able to put your sticker ideas on the resource section?

5. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

Here's the Improving writing thread JT, or what's left of it anyway.

6. Oh it's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you xxx

7. I wish I'd have realised I'd have copied and saved the posts since 14th! What a shame.

8. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Upping this one too...very useful thread!

9. Hi would you be able to end me copies of teh journals? jemma.crossan@gmail.com

10. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Did you read the entire thread? First post: "JT's thread sort of became a "please can I have a copy?" thread, so thought I would start a new one (apologies if it has already been done!)."

You didn't even say please!!!

[​IMG]

11. For things I want to share I will always upload them to Julia's Free Files or the Improving Writing wikispaces (if I knew how I could do that - keep failing so may have to send stuff to you Jog-On!). The purpose of this thread is for discussion on Improving Writing, and it quite clearly states in first post that Jog-On didn't want this to become a leave an email thread as it spoils the discussion.

I have been doing some work on a journal but decided I didn't like it, so nothing to send after all, as I don't like what I made [​IMG]

12. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am interested in this area, particularly looking at underachieving boys?

13. wicked witch

Well, I have now had my new class for a whole day and improving writing is going to be harder than I thought!

Underachieving and downright not interested boys are the main problem. They couldn't seem to care less about their writing and it's not just one or two. It's really unusual for me as generally the children are keen at the start of term and want to show you what they can do.

I did the Myst computer game this morning but it didn't really grab them in the way that other people have talked about. I will use it again tomorrow but don't hold out any great hopes for success.

Going to lie down in darkened room now![:'(]

14. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

I think a lot of us have a similar problem...boys in all of my classes have always (in general) performed less well than girls. I have tried lots of drama and "boy-friendly" books, but it doesn't seem to really work.

There is a page on the wikispace aimed at gender issues and how we can overcome them!

15. wicked witch

I just have a nasty feeling that it's going to be very hard work.

JT, if you've changed your mind about the journal, how are you thinking of recording your VCOP activities? At the moment it all goes in their literacy books which are basically all word and sentence work. A lot of the activities are quite short though so I'm not sure that's the best way to do it. I wondered about getting little notebooks to do things in. There's a thread somewhere about covers for writing journals which might be useful.

Finally have powerpoint and publisher on home computer so can really start to play now!

16. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Improving writing in general? Or boys' achievement?

Have put lots of links and documents on wikispace now.

17. JO thanks for all the work you are putting in, it is appreciated. Is there anything I can do? I have started adding little bits and pieces but is there anything specifically I can do?

18. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Thanks for the offer - can't really think of anything else that needs doing to be honest. I have trawled the internet day after day trying to find articles and documents etc...

...just a few contributions on any of the pages of the wikispace would be fabulous! Think we just need to keep sharing ideas, however simple, that may have gone some way towards improving writing!

Thanks again! [​IMG]

19. No problem, off to look at your recent additions:)

20. JO I have added a page for recommended books, is that ok?