1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

improving writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jog_on, Aug 11, 2008.

1. No that makes sense JT, thanks! Look forward to tonight:)

2. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Ooooh...thanks Bluerose :)

3. visual literacy is another good way to stimulate and excite and engage https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...

Re scanner go for asking for school one for whole staff and use this as an action point for raising standards ie each teacher has to scan at least one piece or writing a week for uplevelling. Do visualisers also work for this if schools have one of these?

4. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Thanks bluerose - really useful link

:)

5. came home early so didn't get as much done on VCOP journals
    Journal one is writig challenges and is linked to the VCOPTeacher blog - 30 pages so far and another 8 or 9 pages in draft form.

Journal two is Really Useful Stuff about Writing - did a lot of this one in my notebook by hand so not typed up yet.

Sent copies to bluerose and jog on and lotto

6. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Thanks JT - much appreciated.

Another thing to add re: writing -

children of all abilities need good models for writing. When we differentiate for lower ability pupils, we need to make sure that we allow them to be exposed to good quality language and vocabulary. We shouldn't "dumb down" texts too much unless urgently needed. Words can often be explained by TAs/partners if necessary.

7. Let's Talk VCOP cards have been sent off but I really think they could have an impact and be fun. The game now has a real team feel and involves strategies and tactics etc as the team manager orgnises their team and asseses their strengths. Dying to try it with the League Scale etc

8. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

Probably teaching to the converted but lots of modelled writing. Not on the whiteboard but on flip chart pages which can be put up and left on the walls. Yes, the children copy whole chunks sometimes but generally they just lift bits and pieces and start to really use them as a model.
    Also go from the known to the unknown. I know we all want exciting stimulii for writing but sometimes it's good just to retell something they're familiar with. That way they can really concentrate on the quality of the writing rather than thinking of what to write next.

9. I love my school as I can go and get a flipchart without asking a nazi admin officer - who then moans at you and asks you to use the back!

I love having flipcharts up of modelled writing as it shows a real progression.

10. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Ours come out of the ICT budget, so our ICT co makes us use the back...it's not really acceptable, because you need to use a dark marker pen for it to show up and then it goes through to the other side!

Grrr!

I think I'm going to make my point known next year, now that I've been at school a year!

11. wicked witch

Doesn't have to be flip chart paper, I've used pale sugar paper before (the colours nobody wants for mounting work) or the back of wall paper (non self adhesive or your fingers get very sticky!)

12. Success criteria works - as you build up what to include in the writing - will definitely dig out stuff I've made on this.

Getting chiildren to generte what to include in the writing is relly good.

13. That is something I am going to miss about my old school, the use of a flipchart! I had a great little flipchart stand plus two little whiteboards that could sit on desks when I worked with groups.

14. non negotiables - your minimum expectations for your writers
    what would you expect of
    yr 1 writer
    yr 2
    yr 3
    yr 4
    yr 5
    yr 6

non negotiables for eals?
    sen?

15. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Can you give us an example JT? Y4 is possible ;)

16. I'll put it on my todo list for tomorrow and do year 4 as an example.
    email me your planning for Autmn 1 and I should have enough to go on

17. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

I have one part of the planning...we've changed things around a bit this year. Will send you it - I still need to change it a bit for this coming class though. Any advice gratefully received :)

18. wicked witch

Non negotiable is difficult as it does vary so much from child to child. Technical things are probably easier. Year 5 - All writing should be joined (SEN letters should have be correctly formed). Common words should be spelt correctly (SEN choose specific number off of high frequency list) etc.
    It's the creative aspects that are much harder to prescribe

19. Thanks - will give me something else to do
    I developed new planning format for skills based curriculum and I am avoiding converting my planning even though I saw such a difference using it last half term - transfer of skills was brilliant - did history lesson - newspaper report funeral of Nelson as lit lesson in front of a HT Assesor and 3 visiting HTs from London - who said it was fantastic so know I am on right track for transfer of skills which must be the key to improving writing. A skills curriculum is so vital based upon something that stimulates, makess them intrigued and is personal to your school/area etc
    I am a firm believer in a personalised curriculum - my curriclum fits my school and our kids. Like Lotto's done with her WW2 unit - she's personalised it and it really is interesting and real.