1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

improving writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jog_on, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

JT's thread sort of became a "please can I have a copy?" thread, so thought I would start a new one (apologies if it has already been done!).

So...how have you got your pupils to make good progress in writing? Let's create a list of ideas that have/could work.

Work on sentence structure (as this is a vital part of good writing) - human sentences (like JT suggested a long time ago) really work. Use mini whiteboards and have large punctuation marks. Really simple, but effective and the children enjoy it. They can make really silly sentences, but the structure has to be correct.

Punctuation - Doctor punctuation. Get a stethoscope (sp?) and get someone to be the doctor and listen to a sentence without punctuation. How can it be cured? Exciting for the children because it's role play.

2. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

JT's thread sort of became a "please can I have a copy?" thread, so thought I would start a new one (apologies if it has already been done!).

So...how have you got your pupils to make good progress in writing? Let's create a list of ideas that have/could work.

Work on sentence structure (as this is a vital part of good writing) - human sentences (like JT suggested a long time ago) really work. Use mini whiteboards and have large punctuation marks. Really simple, but effective and the children enjoy it. They can make really silly sentences, but the structure has to be correct.

Punctuation - Doctor punctuation. Get a stethoscope (sp?) and get someone to be the doctor and listen to a sentence without punctuation. How can it be cured? Exciting for the children because it's role play.

3. For me it is typing up chns work on IWB and getting the class to read it and redraft. It really shows them what I mean when something doesn't make sense etc. I always ensure the children volunteer and are happy to do it although I make sure we are all very positive etc.

I am sure everyone does this though anyway but thought I would add it!

4. Creating lots of exciting and stimulating ways to encourage writing- like on the everybodywrites site and thread

5. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Actually, I did something similar last year. I chose a child (who the TA had said work was ****!!!!) and we looked at it together. It worked really well and we added bits and said how fab certain parts were. Definitely as useful as looking at an author's work, as chn could identify with it.

6. Sounds good JO, it also gives children confidence when they see the class praising their good bits as well and makes others realise they are not the only ones making mistakes.

7. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Do you think we could have examples of the exciting and stimulating ways?

8. scannoing in work so you can look at it on IWB is effective. I hve asked for a scanner for my classroom.
    Daily focused work - certainly loads of uplevelling, work on basics and exploring sentence structure.

9. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Yes, there's no use children being able to write beautifully descriptive writing if they can't use punctuation!

Thanks JT

10. JT you have highlighted an important issue/ problem with this I often have to wait until the next day to do this so I can type it up on the computer which I guess loses its impact slightly. On the other hand though a day gives the children time to detach from their work and look at it afresh. Good luck getting the scanner!

11. Two books I really like for getting ideas is Just Imagine by James Carter and Exciting Writing by Jacqueline Harrett.

12. I take a digital photo of the work as don't have a scanner - this works well when shown on the Smartboard!

13. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Very good ideas. Guess taking a photo/scanning allows children to see the handwriting as well.

I love Pie Corbett's Jumpstart Literacy for fab ideas :D

14. Miss Ladybird funny you should say that but I was (gulp) watching some Teachers TV online yesterday and saw someone doing this but had completely forgotten until you mentioned it!D'oh!

Thanks!

15. Looks good JT! Why do you do it in blog form rather than say powerpoint? Hust wondering!

16. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Love the ideas on there JT - they're fantastic :)

17. so I can publish the best examples of the children's work - make it purposeful - am doing it as a journal as well - wait until tonight!!!!!!!
    Am off to Mark's workshop to get work done instead of playing sudoku with jogon and getting beaten as she gets another record breaking score!!
    Will have something exciting to share - fingers crossed.

18. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Ha ha!!! Am sure you'll beat me soon ;)