1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving writing in KS1 (Y1)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by posingpoodle, May 4, 2008.

1. Even if they attempt to write a story by the end of the year (Y1) in our school it would be brilliant!! Do you use big writing in your school? What about getting them to read what they have written onto cassette then listen to it back- can they identify what they need to add etc?

Puppets- display piece of work puppet has written and they can be the teachers and make it better.

I am sure you are doing these things already xx

2. Might try the cassette idea again. Problem is writing is such a big thing in school and expectations very high. I personally think their writing is good for Y1 but still expected to improve it. I have 3 to 4 level 2 writers already and all apart 2 children others are level 1.

Big Writing is sort of used in school but not to the extent I think it should.

3. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

I also think maybe improved and increased self evaluation is the key and am trying to do this with my class. We've used JT's idea of "Hot sentences" I tell them a hot sentence has correct punctuation, hot hot has a wow word and correct punc, a hot hot hot has all the above plus connectives. They use this to uplevel.

We do lots of displaying 'okay' stories / sentences and highlighting good bits plus adding to uplevel. The VCOP games are good for this too (fiery ideas).

I've gone beyond beginning, middle and end and use the Story Mountain with mine so they now include opening, buildup, problem, resolution and ending. I'm planning a display to help with what to include in each part.

Perhaps a "Writer of the Week"?

Again all ordinary stuff but just thought I'd share.

4. Thanks poppychick, I think the story mountain would work well with my HA but not with rest of class. Do loads of modelling like this with sentences etc... But thanks.

5. poppy chick, just a quick question, you said above you spend lots of time displaying ok sentences etc and work on improving them, when do you actually fit this sort of stuff in. these are the basic skills that i feel my class are missing out on as the new strategy doesnt always include these skills. for example, we have spent the last 3 weeks doing the trad tales unit, lots of re telling, orally, with puppets, building up to writing their own next week. the strategy wants lots of retelling activities for this unit, where then would yopu fit in basic skills teaching? we already slimmed down the strategy to only 3 days a week, then one day dedicated to spellings and a day to big writing. try to cover skills in big writing session but then takes away time from actual writing. i feel that reason my class are so poor at writing is because they faff about a lot doing little bits. just wondered hw you do it.

6. ilovesunshine, I think this is one of the big problems with the new framework in that there is an awful lot of speaking and listening which is fab don't get me wrong, but little ones need a lot of short bouts of writing. How do you do your spellings with your Y1s and how do you do your Big Writing. Big Writing in my school seems to be done once a half term (or sometime month) but I think for it to make an impact it needs to be done more often than that. Do you cover the big writing skills etc... during the week too? And how do you fit your phonics in too?

7. Nutty - we do phonics for 25 minutes Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays after numeracy before playtime. In this session i have 2 phonics groups so all kids listen to the new sound intro then majority go and complete quick activity while i work with the 4 lower ability kids. On a monday i have a TA so she takes the 4 lower kids and i the rest. If i feel kids are struggling with the sounds the i do an extra phonics session on a tuesday in the afternoon. We do lietracy (text based work) on a Monday, Wenesday and Thursday straight after play time usually lasting 50 minutes. On a Friday we dont do phonics or literacy but instead do a spelling/literacy activities session. We have a carousel of activities such as letter dot to dots, floor puxxles etc and one activity is always testing spellings that were sent home. We do individualised spellings for each child based on the HFW for reception and year 1. We dont send home phonic lists, we use the HFW. We tested all the kids on reception and y1 words after easter and made a chart for each child highlighting words known. We now select the next 8 words each week to be practised at home and tested on the friday. All kids have diff words. Takes a bit of time to test all the kids, hence the full session from 10:30-11:30 every friday for testing and carousel activits. As for "big writing", we have only started doing this and its more just a writing session than the big writing session as we know it. I felt that my kids were doing far too much speaking and listening and not enough writing that i decided only to follow the strategy 3 days a week rather than 4, thus creating Tuesday free for big writng. We try to do something related to our literacy work, e.g last week we did an invite to cinderella for the ball as we are doing trad tales. Tuesday we will do a sort of "news" type writing session, what they did in the holiday. I feel its essential kids do one piece of concrete writing each week. The new strategy does not allow for this. We also do GR on a Monday beforwe and after lunch and the same on a wed. This allows me to work with each of my 4 groups over the week. When a group is working with me, i have 3 other activities going on, this is where i have been trying to link in skills but its difficult as it doesnt allow time for me to "tecah" about it, only quickly explain the task. Still trying to work out when to teach about grammar and punctuation. Ideally if we could get the testing of words done quicker on a friday then we could use the full session for testing/carousel of activities and then maybe 20 mins on a specific skill. I dont know how to overcome this problem.

8. That's really helpful to know how someone else does this. Thanks.

9. no problem. i know someone else who does it like this and it appears to work well.

10. I was also thinking about sending a writing diary home with the children to practice some writing at home giving them targets such as make your sentence into a wow sentence or use full stops and capital letters.

11. Yes, sounds like a good idea if you really want them to practise. I am not a fan of homework though but thats just my personal opinion. If parents will be supportive then go for it. I tend to only send reading~(which i do think is important) and spelling list. Sometimes i may send a price of research homework for our topic work, but not every week.

12. Agree about the strategy. S and L is great but sometimes you feel they need to practise writing! I have y2 but have found a couple of ten minute slots in the morning to fit in handwriting/phonics in hw books, and whiteboard "games" which tend to be vcop stuff - some good ideas in Pie Corbett's Jumpstart (sentence doctor where you give them a boring sentence and they make it better,give them an opener and they write the sentence etc) also on the resource bank here, quickfire vcop stuff. Seems to have helped them at least get a feel for what a sentence is.

13. Some really good ideas on here. Thanks!