1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving subject knowledge

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Martial_Artiste, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Martial_Artiste

Martial_Artiste New commenter

I understand it means to get into the nitty gritty but how can I do that say for maths?

I'm more arts and language so never considered myself to be a great mathematician.

What would you do?

TIA

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I have found merely planning and devising activities is a good way to practice Maths skills. I'm currently in EYFS so there's little to improve, but when I was in Year 6 I made sure I planned Science units in advance so I was aware of the whole unit from the beginning, did lots of mental maths with them (I got really good at it because I wanted always to be one step ahead of them!), found out particular vocab in plenty of time so I understood it.

3. Martial_Artiste

Brilliant! Thanks for your reply.

4. KnightRider

KnightRider New commenter

For Maths, register yourself on www.ncetm.org.uk (free)then go to the self evaluation tab. From there you can select mathematics content knowledge, mathematics specific pedagogy or embedding in practice. There's enough there to keep you going for a very long time!

5. Martial_Artiste

Oh gosh I had forgotten about that!

Thanks I will get started....might be finished by next Christmas!

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If you haven't read Derek Haylock's "Mathematics Explained For Primary Teachers", then I would highly recommend you buy yourself a copy. Very interesting read and there are questions at the end of each chapter for you to test your own understanding.

7. Martial_Artiste

Hi Kartoshka

Thank you - have just ordered from my local library. Many thanks indeed for your suggestion!

8. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

I recommend Haylock, too.