1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving Reading/Writing (Boys!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vharvey5, Aug 26, 2012.

1. vharvey5

vharvey5 New commenter

Hello,
    I have a few different question please, and would love any ideas!
    1) We need to raise boys' attainment in reading, and so I am looking into various ways of approaching this - pupil interviews, curriculum review etc etc. As part of this I am looking into different "boy friendly" books, including the Project X books. Has anyone used them?
    2) I am looking into using Reading Passports for the children, where I challenge them to not only read more, but also to read different genres etc. I really like the idea of this, so I wondered if there were any people out there who might be able to share their experiences with Reading passports, particularly on how to keep it managable AND effective!
    3) On a different note, I really enjoy using Talk for Writing techniques. Does anyone have any tips for how to incorporate drama into non-fiction writing, for example, when building up paragraphs in information texts?
    4) Any general experiences/advice on how to promote reading for the whole school?
    Rather a lot of questions there! As I said, and experiences/ideas would be gratefully received.
    Thanks.

2. vharvey5

vharvey5 New commenter

Hello,
    I have a few different question please, and would love any ideas!
    1) We need to raise boys' attainment in reading, and so I am looking into various ways of approaching this - pupil interviews, curriculum review etc etc. As part of this I am looking into different "boy friendly" books, including the Project X books. Has anyone used them?
    2) I am looking into using Reading Passports for the children, where I challenge them to not only read more, but also to read different genres etc. I really like the idea of this, so I wondered if there were any people out there who might be able to share their experiences with Reading passports, particularly on how to keep it managable AND effective!
    3) On a different note, I really enjoy using Talk for Writing techniques. Does anyone have any tips for how to incorporate drama into non-fiction writing, for example, when building up paragraphs in information texts?
    4) Any general experiences/advice on how to promote reading for the whole school?
    Rather a lot of questions there! As I said, and experiences/ideas would be gratefully received.
    Thanks.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We have Project X phonics Project X Code and Project X also Rapid Phonics and Rapid Readers popular with boys and girls.
    We also have Bug Club ebooks which are popular with lots of children who would not normally choose to read at home

4. Would def recommend project x - a hit with the children, and the reading prompts that come as part of the book were a hit with the parents! To promote reading I've tried loads of different things over the years . . it's mainly reading races with a whole school focus that works - prizes in assembly and mentions on the newsletter are a must. These tend to get those who read anyway reading more, and a few extra children joining in. For the children that just don't read (beg parents to, but still don't) aside from embarrassing the parents at the gate, we found the best strategy for improving their skills, levels, reading ages and self esteem is actually good old fashioned reading with them every day. We tried all sorts of interventions, measured them all and this came out by far the highest. So we took THE (only) TA for the juniors off timetable for an hour and she withdraws the children that we prioritised (those it would make a difference to) for 5 mins everyday. Yes they miss a bit of the lesson, but had an ENORMOUS impact. We also saved up over a period of years and bought new 'schemes' for both the infants and juniors. We chose a mix of scheme and real, exiting and targeted books, all banded right up level 5. That also had a HUGE impact, but was costly. Worth it, though. :)

5. vharvey5

vharvey5 New commenter

Thanks so much for your reply, it's a great help! Appreciate it.

6. You're very welcome x

7. Msz

8. vharvey5

vharvey5 New commenter

Thank you!

9. As well as being a teacher I am have an 11 year old son. He has always been an able reader but initially he was really reluctant to read and it used to really frustrate me. In the end I decided to just totally relax about what he was reading and it made such a difference. He would happily read a Simpsons comic or Beano which then led onto reading Wimpy Kid books, then Cherub and now I literally can't keep up with his reading habit - we are forever having to go the the library.

While this wouldn't work for every boy, it may be worth getting some comics and silly books into the classroom for the boys?

10. Have you used the website lovereading4kids? It is really good. You can even download extracts to see which ones are worth buying. It splits books into helpful categories, including ages, but also dyslexia-friendly, reluctant readers and books for boys.
    http://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/

11. I agree about comic type books, Captain Underpants is not exactly intellectually challenging but is very popular and funny. We have also had some success getting boys to write and record raps (poems by any other name!) and using stop animations/green screen with story telling since the boys like to be in on the filming and can only do so if they have contributed to the story, models and scenery.

12. vharvey5

vharvey5 New commenter

Thank you, I totally agree. This would be a good way to "hook" some of the boys!

13. vharvey5

vharvey5 New commenter

No I hadn't seen it before, thank you, it looks GREAT! Thanks for your reply.

14. vharvey5

vharvey5 New commenter

Great, thank you! Love the rap and animation ideas :)

15. Msz

For beginner readers you might want to look at Comics for Phonics