1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving my teaching practice

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by jameswalker12, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Dear all,
    I am a new teacher (KS1) and I have identified some areas in my teaching practice which I would like to improve. However, I really need help from experienced professionals to help me do this. I ask people at school and they are fantastic but I feel you can never ask too many people for help and advice. The areas I have identified are as follows (please feel free to comment on techniques to help me improve in these areas:
    <ol>[*]<u>Pace</u> - I feel that I sometimes rush through concepts and move on too quicky[*]<u>Making silly mistakes with the IWB</u> - I try to use the smartboard a lot to make the lessons very visual for the children but I always do silly things like try to write on the board while I have the rubber in my hand (which doesn't work [​IMG]) and then the children laugh at me (in a nice way) but this still undermines me.[*]<u>Explaining tasks</u> - this is difficult for me to explain what to do to five groups without all the others getting board and not listening. What is a good way to manage this and check that the children have all understood before you let them go off to work?[*]<u>Confidence</u> - I think this is the biggest area for me not only in my job but in my life also! I do struggle with my confidence and I need to be more confident. I know I am good with the children and I want to become a great teacher but I constantly 'throw myself on my sword' and attack myself when something doesn't workout. Another problem is when being observed; I don't interact as well with the children as I normally do and I think it is because I am struggling in this area.</ol>Don't get me wrong, I won't let these things stop me from becoming a good teacher (and some people say that I am already good) but it's knowing myself that I need to improve these areas before I feel completely confident. For example, I have been playing rugby for about 15 years and I feel totally confident to do demonstrations and play infront of hundreds of people and this doesn't phase me one bit and, without being big headed, I think this is because I know I am good at the sport. However, I need to know this in relation to teaching also.

Please feel free to fire away and help me in these areas.

Cheers,

2. Dear all,
    I am a new teacher (KS1) and I have identified some areas in my teaching practice which I would like to improve. However, I really need help from experienced professionals to help me do this. I ask people at school and they are fantastic but I feel you can never ask too many people for help and advice. The areas I have identified are as follows (please feel free to comment on techniques to help me improve in these areas:
    <ol>[*]<u>Pace</u> - I feel that I sometimes rush through concepts and move on too quicky[*]<u>Making silly mistakes with the IWB</u> - I try to use the smartboard a lot to make the lessons very visual for the children but I always do silly things like try to write on the board while I have the rubber in my hand (which doesn't work [​IMG]) and then the children laugh at me (in a nice way) but this still undermines me.[*]<u>Explaining tasks</u> - this is difficult for me to explain what to do to five groups without all the others getting board and not listening. What is a good way to manage this and check that the children have all understood before you let them go off to work?[*]<u>Confidence</u> - I think this is the biggest area for me not only in my job but in my life also! I do struggle with my confidence and I need to be more confident. I know I am good with the children and I want to become a great teacher but I constantly 'throw myself on my sword' and attack myself when something doesn't workout. Another problem is when being observed; I don't interact as well with the children as I normally do and I think it is because I am struggling in this area.</ol>Don't get me wrong, I won't let these things stop me from becoming a good teacher (and some people say that I am already good) but it's knowing myself that I need to improve these areas before I feel completely confident. For example, I have been playing rugby for about 15 years and I feel totally confident to do demonstrations and play infront of hundreds of people and this doesn't phase me one bit and, without being big headed, I think this is because I know I am good at the sport. However, I need to know this in relation to teaching also.

Please feel free to fire away and help me in these areas.

Cheers,