1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving my subject knowledge for Year 6 ...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by irasor, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I will be beginning my NQT year in Year 6 in September and would appreciate some recommendations for ways to 'brush up' on my subject knowledge.
    I have been looking at revision guides on Amazon for KS2 & 3 but there are so many available it's difficult to know which one is best without being able to have a quick flick through!
    Are there any which are particularly good or are there better books/resources out there that I would find more useful?
    Thank you in advance [​IMG]

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Anything by Pie Corbett is good for English and as it's rumoured they may just be doing continuous assessment for writing you'll need to ensure you do a good variety of writing tasks during the year.
    Really its about revising all they've done up to date (if other teachers have been doing a good job) and not just teaching to SATs in year 6. Lots and lots of practice. Try looking at some previous SAT papers to see the sort of questions they might get Testbase if your school subscribe to it is good.
    I trust you're paired with someone who is clued-up about it all.

3. Thanks for your reply Lara.
    Yes, my menor is excellent and is the current Year 5 teacher (of my class-to-be) so I'm not really worried about the actual planning of lesson, it's more just having a really secure subject knowledge before I begin.
    Will definitely be doing lots of SATs papers over the holidays, however I would like to be able to team this with a revision guide of some sorts, especially for numeracy.
    I have heard lots of positive things about Pie Corbett so may have to invest in some of his books!

4. http://www.amazon.co.uk/KS2-Maths-Study-Book/dp/1847621848/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310132676&sr=1-5

These books are quite good generally - they do them for a variety of subjects too, which is good!
    BBC Bitesize is also quite a good site to look through.

:)

5. I like the CGP books- the corny little jokes in them give you a groan at times, in a good way :) You can get them with a discount if you order them to be delivered to school through the direct website.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not convinced that buying revision guides is the best way to increase your subject knowledge. And looking at SATs papers definitely isn't. Ignore those until Christmas at least!

If you really feel you don't have the subject knowledge (and I bet that you do really and just lack confidence) then buy some books that will give you ideas of how to teach topics. Look on Scholastic and other sites and find books that fit the topic for year 6s and buy those. Also look on websites to get some ideas for teaching.

Look on the 'NC in action' site to give you an idea of what level 4 or level 5 looks like. Then teach from there.

7. Thank you all for your replies!
    To a certain extent I agree with this Minnieminx. I am quite suprised by the fact I have been 'trusted' with Year 6 for my first year and lack of confidence is a little bit of an issue, however I have taught Year 6 for my two primary placements and I remember from then that I definitely needed to 'brush up' on a few of the numeracy topics I was teaching. I think I am really just wanting to use my time over the summer effectively (I know, I know, enjoy the time off etc, but I have not taught a day since April due to non existant supply work in my area and being on JSA and completly skint means I am bored and looking forward to September).
    I just want to be able to get off to a flying start in September, feeling confident that I know more than (most of!) the children ha! [​IMG]
    Off to check out Scholastic & NC in Action!

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Whilst I applaud your keenness. it will probably make more sense when you actually teach it to the children, so don't use up too much time over the summer.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm a little too tiddly now, but will look up my book-marked pages for you tomorrow and post them here. I'm moving out of year 6 (have been in year 5 and 6 for about 10 years) to KS1 (YEahhhhhhhh) so have lots of bits and bobs that will help. Lots of book and freebee sites.

10. I agree - don't waste your summer. Just make sure you plan really well. You will know what you are doing in the weeks ahead so do your research as you go along. As has been said, it's probably just underconfidence. You'll be amazed at what you actually know!!

11. Thanks again for the replies.
    Minnieminx, that would be excellent, thank you!

12. agree dont spend summer revising
    CPG maths and english would be good back up and a collins maths dictionary
    for foundation subjects think its just about ensuring as you plan a topic that you understand the level 4 and 5 elemetns and if you dont ask