1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving Maths...How?!?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cbdixon, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Hi I am a Maths AST just completing MaST myself and have taken so much from course into school. Think major area to develop was reasoning and explanation. Children across the school know that an answer will not be taken unless they can say "why" it is correct. We use the Mathematical Powers, as explained in the work of John Mason, to ensure planning gives children the opportunity to look at problem solving in many different ways.
    We also have a core skills lesson a week.
    Hope this makes sense, message me if I can help further!

2. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Although KS1 maths appear to be doing well it is worth looking at what the children learn as I have found that although levels can be good in KS1 the children don't have a solid understanding of basic facts and place value and this then inpacts in the work you try to do in KS2.
    I do also agree with the previous post that children need to explain more.
    I recently went on a course and it was talking about getting the children to talk more about maths and give them more open ended questions to get them thinking
    So a quick example, instead of saying 12 + 9 =
    Ast the children - can you tell me 2 numbers which total 21?
    Its stops the children thinking maths is just about getting 1 answer.
    I also think the 'why?' question or 'how do you know?' needs to be used more

3. Thank you very much for those responses. Anything is much appreciated!

4. What is Mathematical Powers? Also, what happens/is covered in your core skills lesson? Do you have any planning I could look at thatb shows this? abpcdixon@rgfl.org

Thank you in advance