1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving Maths across the school!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mcd2000, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Is anyone willing to share any ways they have improved Maths attainment across the school as a teacher or Maths co-ordinator? Looking for some good ideas that would have an impact in our school!

2. Is anyone willing to share any ways they have improved Maths attainment across the school as a teacher or Maths co-ordinator? Looking for some good ideas that would have an impact in our school!

3. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

Instant recall facts are up and coming again. These will be in the new curriculum but get started with them early. We've been doing them since January and they're already having a massive impact.

We also do a short test every week that tests number and number systems and calculation. This keeps the children used to practising skills (which they otherwise forget) - this has also had a massive impact in such a short time.

We've taken these elements from Ben Harding's Big Maths, worth checking out. Good Luck!

4. This might sound old fashioned but I think the good attainment in my school is down to plenty of recording in books. I always use whiteboards for oral and mental starters but then the children work in their books during pretty much every lesson. It means a lot of marking but I can see immediately who has understood and who hasn't and I usually get round to mark a fair bit during the lesson, even with guided groups. I can then step in and help out those who are struggling or ask a TA to help them if I haven't marked it until after the lesson. Mine are Y5 but all year groups in my primary school record a lot. We also set in KS2 for numeracy which helps a lot.

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

This sounds like my school too. We do the same! I think setting when done right means the kids are getting exactly what they need.

6. Using resources to aid understanding of concepts. We tend to veer away from using resources too early. I have reintroduced them in year 6 and children are understanding number bonds, fractions, and enabling them to move forward. Cuisinaire and Diene's blocks have made a huge impact on the understanding of concepts across the school.
    We have also started breaking down word problems by using a guided reading strategy. What do you know and what do you think you know? We have focused on the problem without asking for an answer. It has made them look at problems more closely, without just looking for numbers to calculate.

7. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

We recently received Numicon training and several resources including ICT resources- they have been fab and already making a huge difference!

8. Depends whether you mean you want higher levels in tests etc (good at 'doing' maths) or a better understanding of maths (good mathematicians).
    If the first option, plenty of drill and practice, rote learning at times and teaching children to recognise key words in word problems.
    If the second, lots of problem solving (not the same as word problems) and teaching through 'discovery'. (Though learning of key facts, once the concepts are understood, is still useful).
    At my school, we have people who believe in both... usually causes fun discussions!

9. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Absolutely agree with you salofi! Until we end our national obsession with assessing 'learning to do well in SAT tests and go up two sub-levels since September' as opposed to assessing 'mathematics' this argument will continue to rage I suspect.I bet it's fun in your staff meetings though!

10. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Another agreement here!

Personally, I think the latter would help the further, but you have to take it seriously.

But regardless, if you want to raise attainment, then the first thing you need to do is to identify where attainment is weak, and why. Is it a curriculum issue? Teacher subject-knowledge? A specific area of maths? Factual recall?
    Then you can set to work on correcting/improving it.