1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving Literacy

Discussion in 'English' started by a51_ufo, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Evening all
    This is my first time in the English Forum and I hoping you will be able to help me out! I am a Maths teacher looking to help my form group improve their literacy.
    Their current English teacher mentioned they are lacking in the basics which should have be mastered in primary school. We have form time of 20 minutes every morning and I am looking to spend one or two a weeks on tasks that will help them improve. I have been shown the resources on Bitesize which look good though I was looking for some more ideas\activities to do with them?
    I had thought of putting a booklet together for them to work through though not sure where to start really. Another idea is to arrange for them to be in the computer room and have them work on online tasks.
    I would be so grateful for any ideas\resources\websites you could share!

2. Evening all
    This is my first time in the English Forum and I hoping you will be able to help me out! I am a Maths teacher looking to help my form group improve their literacy.
    Their current English teacher mentioned they are lacking in the basics which should have be mastered in primary school. We have form time of 20 minutes every morning and I am looking to spend one or two a weeks on tasks that will help them improve. I have been shown the resources on Bitesize which look good though I was looking for some more ideas\activities to do with them?
    I had thought of putting a booklet together for them to work through though not sure where to start really. Another idea is to arrange for them to be in the computer room and have them work on online tasks.
    I would be so grateful for any ideas\resources\websites you could share!

3. Could I suggest that you work on their vocabulary - take a couple of words each week and do activities on those words like making anagrams, talking about how they would use this word , doing acrostics on the letters of the words ...... I have loads more activities like that if that would help. Give them say three new words on a Monday and by Friday they have to be able to prove they have used those words in their lessons . Build a word bank on your classroom wall so that the words are there and you can add how members of your form have used them - you didn't say what year they are but a word wall works with any year . If you build this up over the term they can visibly see how much their vocbaulary has improved.
    If your school has SAM learning then there are lots of basic exercises on there for basic Literacy . You could also look at the BBC Skills wise site which is actually for Adult Literacy but really useful for students.
    To help them with basics of punctuation you can always just give them a short passage without any punctuation and they need to work on putting the correct punctuation in - take paragraphs from books so you have the " answers" readily available.

Hope some of this if of some use.

4. Could you devote a session a week to reading? They bring in anything with words in and read it. They could swap and exchange books etc, discuss what they've been reading with someone who's been reading something different. Could you perhaps bring in newspapers/magazines or things they wouldn't normally read to supplement this? Perhaps the library could provide a few to borrow. Perhaps they could each read something different about a similar topic and then discuss what they've found out etc.

Just a few ideas.

Let us know how it goes.

5. OH yes - can I endorse the reading idea too - letting them read newspapers and magazines really works and opens up all sorts of discussions !

6. I like that idea but would suggest about 5 words per week, and including some that are tricky to spell as well. The pages for oo and long o on www.EnglishSpellingProblems.co.uk get most hits per day, suggesting that they give a lot of trouble. So perhaps start with some from those?
    I like the reading idea too.

7. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

If you're feeling really energetic in form time, you could try the Literacy Progress Units (LPUs). They are designed specifically for 20 minute chunks and the aim is to boost literacy. Whilst they are targetted at low achievers (repeating the skills they should have learned in Primary school), I've actually also found them to be useful for higher ability students too: http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/97441