1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving Literacy in ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by anon2047, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am trying to come up with ideas for improving literacy and Numeracy in my lessons but am not doing so well. So far I have the obvious like 'remember to check your spellings, grammar, getting the kids to read etc', but can't think of anything else.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Jaime

2. Hi,
    I am trying to come up with ideas for improving literacy and Numeracy in my lessons but am not doing so well. So far I have the obvious like 'remember to check your spellings, grammar, getting the kids to read etc', but can't think of anything else.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Jaime

3. robot1

robot1 New commenter

Our KS3 ICT is assignment based. Early on we get the students to read through the assignment (some need a bit help with this) and get them to compile a list of key terms. They them have to look them up and find the correct meaning in the context of the assignment.
    Some of the tasks need typed up answers. This is literacy in action. We provide a writing frame for the lower ability kids and a helpsheet for everyone else.
    In addition we sometimes pair up students to proof read their partners answer and identify errors and improvements. Literacy and AFL in one hit.

4. Hi,
    I like the pairs concept.
    Thanks very much for taking the time to reply... especially given the time of year!
    Jaime

5. Ooh fab thanks very much!
    Jaime