1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving Literacy at KS4 across all subjects

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by hayleyb83, Jan 25, 2016.

1. hayleyb83

hayleyb83 New commenter

Hello,

As part of a leadership challenge at my school, I have been set the task of trying to improve literacy at KS4 across all subject areas. Within our English department we already do a lot of work specific to improving literacy but we are keen for it to be seen as a whole school approach, especially with SPAG now having more weighting on the new GCSEs. Do any of you lovely people have any tips/suggestions/pointers that you may have tried or seen that could work here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

Maybe this is a bit simplistic for you but as I teach across all subjects in ks3 I log links to reading, writing, communication and maths for each lesson plan.Sorry if thats not helpful.

3. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

As a member of a secondary school English department, I would expect you and your departmental colleagues to have a robust literacy policy. However, it would be unwise to conclude that whatever works for you literacy-wise will necessarily work too in every other core and foundation subject in the National Curriculum.

Consider doing a literature search of what subjects other than English have done for literacy development. Relevant documents can be found here:
    1. Go to: http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/home/inclusion
    2. Locate "Basic skills" under the heading "Boosting knowledge and skills".
    3. Follow a subject link of your choice.

You will find literacy development advice and resources there for each National Curriculum subject. This will enable you to determine what is already being done in the name of literacy in Art & Design, Design & Technology, Geography, History, ICT, Mathematics, MFL, Music, PE, RE and Science as well as English.

Consider asking heads of other subject departments what they are doing to promote literacy within their area of the curriculum. Pool their expertise in the literacy field rather than impose your own English-derived vision of literacy development on them. If they feel clueless about literacy development within their subject, point them in the direction of their subject-specific link on the specialeducationalneeds.com website so that they can access literacy documents and resources relevant to their subject. This will inform and empower them to marry the need for literacy development to priorities within their academic discipline.

pepper5 likes this.