1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

improving Literacy and Numeracy through science

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by angelchem, Mar 24, 2012.

1. angelchem

angelchem New commenter

Any ideas how we can use science lessons to help improve Literacy and Numeracy?

2. aporter86

aporter86 New commenter

There is a big literacy drive at my school. I find that literacy and science are a natural pairing. KS3 have a literacy homework every week (spellings / research / comprehension task etc). At KS4 we are training them up for the 6 mark Qs this summer. I've got a literacy lesson for writing evaluations at KS4 and an accompanying room display if you want a copy. Some teaches are using a structured fish-bone sheet thing to help learners to write balanced arguments. Then there's just everyday things like make a table/flow chart from a paragraph in the text book and vice versa.
    Let me know if you want any resources.
    Cheers,
    Andy

3. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

4. Hi we recently had a literacy and science inset within the department which was quite good if you let me have your email I will happily email some of the resources that were shared with us. The disc however is at school so wouldn't be until next week.
    Numeracy is a easy one though especially if you are dealing with physics or chem you are probably already doing it without realising.

5. aporter86 I would love to get a copy of the literacy lesson and room display as well if possible?

6. Hi asporter,

I'd really appreciate the resources mentioned too for literacy if available. My email is Victoria.Geddes@teachfirst.org.uk

Thanks so much

7. Is there any chance you could upload this resource? I'd love a copy of it, please?

8. alm721

alm721 New commenter

Hi just another shameless request for resources to maybe be uploaded to TES. Id be really grateful to see the literacy resources espeically info on how you are addressing the 6 point questions.
    Thanks

9. Hi, word of advice, if you have something to offer then do it via direct message or add the resource to the TES resources site as people will continue to ask for the resource for years after you first offer it. I have done this before and not one of the people I emailed with the document emailed back to say Thanks for taking your time to do this sidey.

10. Hi aporter86 i would like to get a copy of your literacy lesson and accompanying room display.

11. Touché Sideshow

12. Aporter86 - any resources you have I'd love to have a look. I'm an NQT and have taken on the literacy role in science and could really do with some guidance!

Is there an area on the resources section where literacy focused resources could be categorised into?

13. finamar

finamar New commenter

You should ask the English and maths departments for help: they are the experts and should be able to lead you in the right direction. If you have a whole school literacy and numeracy policy that may be a good starting point as well.

14. if you get a minute would love it if you could send anything my way

many thanks

gregiskinner@gmail.com

15. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

Any chance I could have a copy too please? flipflop80@rocketmail.com