1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving KS1 Writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cbdixon, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas of games or activities I could use in a 6 child intervention group to help improve their writing. I'm in Y2 and I have 6 children who are 2c and with some extra support could make a 2b. In general it is their sentence structure that is the problem, e.g. punctuation, vocabulary and connectives...it's there but limited!
    Any help, advice, resources, games etc. all greatly welcomed!

2. Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas of games or activities I could use in a 6 child intervention group to help improve their writing. I'm in Y2 and I have 6 children who are 2c and with some extra support could make a 2b. In general it is their sentence structure that is the problem, e.g. punctuation, vocabulary and connectives...it's there but limited!
    Any help, advice, resources, games etc. all greatly welcomed!

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Recognition of connective /punctuation.snap cards or matching cards
    Sentence activities such as cut up and past and add different connectives and why do we need them
    Looking at senteces..what makes them interesting,how can we make it better....use of word mats and dice games with words on...throw 2 nouns 2 verbs etc amd make up a daft.real.stupid good sentence.
    Praise all efforts and over praise the better.ask them to peer mark and evaluate....who do you think made the best sentence,why,could it be made better
    Joint work on a piece....make a story together
    Word games write a name fold paper, wrie a verb.fold babaper write a adverb....when finished fold out paper and read te sentence.....le them evaluate.
    They also need experience at comprehension to allow them to explor words and theri use in explanation and description!

4. I think one of the best ways I get fantastic sentence writing is using images and then writing descriptive captions. The stress is taken away from having to write quantity and instead the focus is on quality. I just search under google images under titles like strange homes or castles and that inspires the children and their writing.

Hope this helps.