1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving children's writing? Any great ideas welcome

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Nov 29, 2011.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I have just started a new job and I gave my class an independent writing task to do today. I was quite shocked at their low writing ability. The sentence structure and punctuation was very poor; very basic vocabulary used, and some of it needed mediation. Their writing stamina was very poor; after only a minute or two several of them were giving up. They are Year 3. I have taught this age group before and although I don't like to make comparisons, they are operating at a much lower level; some at P levels, some at level 1.
    I think I will do short sharp bursts of sentence/word level work twice a day to boost their sentence construction, punctuation, vocabulary etc. in addition to guided writing sessions, use lots of modelling, talk for writing etc.
    Any good ideas I haven't thought of?

2. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I have just started a new job and I gave my class an independent writing task to do today. I was quite shocked at their low writing ability. The sentence structure and punctuation was very poor; very basic vocabulary used, and some of it needed mediation. Their writing stamina was very poor; after only a minute or two several of them were giving up. They are Year 3. I have taught this age group before and although I don't like to make comparisons, they are operating at a much lower level; some at P levels, some at level 1.
    I think I will do short sharp bursts of sentence/word level work twice a day to boost their sentence construction, punctuation, vocabulary etc. in addition to guided writing sessions, use lots of modelling, talk for writing etc.
    Any good ideas I haven't thought of?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Lots of S&L and guided reading will also help with the sentence structure and vocabulary work.

Other than that, what you have already described sounds fab. Make sure it is exciting though and they WANT to write, then you have the battle half won already.