1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Improving Boys' Literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by louiseelsiet, Aug 28, 2011.

1. louiseelsiet

louiseelsiet New commenter

Hi,
    I am hoping that someone can help and offer me some advice or share their experiences with me regarding improving boys' literacy.
    I have a low ability Year 4 class this year. The boys within the class lack motivation when it comes to writing and reading. The progress of the boys is going to be monitored closely throughout the year and I am wondering if anyone has any advice, projects that you may have set up in the past that have made a difference to boys within your class. I really need some help!! I am hoping that our History topic will grab their attention and I have several WOW days planned linking topic to our writing work.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

What interests your boys? I had a very boy heavy class last year (11 boys, 4 girls) so I linked a lot of literacy work to things that interested them. So for information texts we looked at books about sports, for instructions we create our own games and looked at the rules, for newspapers we read match reports and created our own articles.
    I found with reading they were a lot more willing to sit and listen to me read to the whole class to than read individually although they were very keen to read with a partner or small group. I raided the local charity shops and got copies of Horrid Henry, Captain Underpants etc for the home readers which proved very popular.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. louiseelsiet

Thank you, I will have a look at these links!

6. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Have you tried getting them to make up 'tests' from the work in hand? Boys usually like competition and research shows that devising questions based on texts promotes better comprehension and attention. Maybe everyone make up one question 'secretly' and then you put them into a competition test - everyone should get at least one right!!! (Helps them to focus on what sort of things feature in test questions like the narrative elements who/when/what etc.)

7. We had some INSET last year on using film and gaming to inspire boys' literacy. It mainly focused on using the game Myst. It really worked on reluctant readers and writers.

8. louiseelsiet

Hi Kate, I wondered you have any further information on this that I could take a look at please? It sounds like the type of thing that may hook the boys in my class!

9. louiseelsiet

This is a great idea, will definitely give this a go - thanks!